1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No context Wikipedia text

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 14, 2023.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“In 2020, the spelling was changed to "Fuchs", and Argel explained that the previous spelling was the result of an error by the registry, and that his name was always supposed to have been Fuchs.”

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

“What’s so funny about that guy’s name?” — former congressman John Boehner

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The novel was an instant commercial success, despite scathing reviews. It was nominated for a National Book Award, but it was withdrawn when the judges threatened to resign. William Styron, the head judge for fiction that year, called it "a banal book which simply doesn't qualify as literature" and suggested that even by being nominated it would have "demeaned" all the other novels under consideration.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Peyton Place?

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Love Story”

I was fascinated by the paragraph and had to figure out what it was referencing.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. dixiehack

More than 50 buildings built with funds from US taxpayers directed to West Virginia are named for either Byrd or his wife, Erma Ora Byrd (née James).

7. dixiehack

The Court, therefore, feels some measure of responsibility to inform Defendant that all the fancy legal-sounding things he has read on the internet are make-believe. [101]Defendant can call himself a "public minister" and "private attorney general", he may file "mandatory judicial notices" citing all his favorite websites, he can even address mail to the "Washington Republic". But at the end of the day, while sovereign citizens and Defendant cite things like "Universal Law Ordinances", they are subject to both state and federal laws, just like everyone else.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

Name that tune ...

The song was inspired by the futuristic short story "A Nice Morning Drive", written by Richard Foster and published in the November 1973 issue of Road & Track magazine. The story describes a similar future in which increasingly stringent safety regulations have forced cars to evolve into massive Modern Safety Vehicles (MSVs), capable of withstanding a 50-mile-per-hour (80 km/h) impact without injury to the driver. Consequently, drivers of MSVs have become less safety-conscious and more aggressive, and "bouncing" (intentionally ramming) the older, smaller cars is a common sport among some.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How obscure is the song? Genre?

10. I Should Coco

It’s not that obscure, especially if you’re a classic rock nerd.

11. dixiehack

The 1977 game between East Carolina and William & Mary featured an incident well-publicized at the time, in which former East Carolina head coach Jim Johnson, attending the game as a sideline spectator, tackled a William & Mary player about to score the game-winning touchdown.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. dixiehack

There are preliminary drinking days before the celebration. On the day of the celebration the people of the community get together, have breakfast at the local church and drink before the fighting starts. After the fight, fighters will drink more alcohol to numb the pain endured during the fight.

Huggy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted