1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I've had my current pair of sunglasses for a number of years. I bought them for $5 at a motorcycle shop in Axtell, Texas.

2. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

HUGE consideration. Very important.

When I was leaving my latest eye exam, the doctor wanted to make sure I had good sunglasses. I have a pilot friend who is always very conscious to get good UV protection in his sunglasses.

My eyes are fading fast enough on their own. Don't want to do anything (such as wear worthless sunglasses) to speed their demise.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A sunglasses threadjack ... Deion wins again.

I can't leave the house without my prescription sunglasses. Like @Dog8Cats I need all the help I can get.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Clubmaster.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Surgery three years ago for glaucoma and a cataract in one eye, and I have a baby cataract in the other. My most frequently used sunglasses are a prescription Shaq model from Costco. They have worked well.

I also have others to wear with my contacts ranging to about $350. Everything from RayBan and Oakley to Smith, Costa and Ocean Waves. I usually go with what saltwater fishing guides use since they’re often in the harshest conditions. Style is cool but UV protection is more important.

Also, having surgery to have a drain port implanted will make you read and learn more than you ever thought you’d know about eye care. Don’t scrimp on the protection or getting regular checkups.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Thank you, Igor. Now bring me the brain.

SixToe and Azrael like this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, everyone better take their hats off before they come in here. My mama told me ...

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

If I am outside of the house, I am pretty much wearing a hat. There are people who probably haven't seen me without a hat. And I don't care!

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would like to be stylish enough to pull off something more substantial than a baseball cap, but I’m guessing anything I choose will lock in my late-middle-age single dad bona fides.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a tough spot. If I'm going to be in the sun for any length of time I need a hat. I would be happy to upgrade from a ball cap... but then you enter "that guy with the hat" territory. I'm tempted to go with something like a porkpie, but you run the risk of looking like some asshole who's too old to still be in a ska band.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dude, wear what you want, and fuck them.

fossywriter8 and FileNotFound like this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s fine as long as you’re not carrying a trumpet.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted