1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hey, Pearlman started it. We all just finished it.

Incidentally, I went back reading some of the early pages, and there were some great points/arguments -- on both sides. Bubbler's post on Page 7 was especially post-of-the-year stuff.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate. Gooooooooooooooo Broncos!

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I'm DBing myself drown me in the Lake of Fail, but I've checked like 15 pages and am full of good wine and food, so screw it. When I had been on the job at the Boston Phoenix as George Kimball's replacement for about six months, I was at the World Series when the Phillies, my team since early childhood then and now, won their first Series in history (97 years at that point). What was my reaction? Steely-jawed and stone-faced as I headed down for interviews is what. I had no choice. The press box assignments, possibly due to stool pigeoning by my old pal George, had me seated down the line in the aux box between Red Smith and Roger Angell.
    Later that night, at my friends' Ian and Mary's house in South Philly, there was drinking and yelling. But no colleague saw it.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's a real low info tweet. Who is following her for Broncos play by play?

MileHigh likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My first year in the business I was covering LSU-Ole Miss football in Oxford. I'd graduated from LSU six months earlier and was still a fanboy at heart. LSU was down 31-10 in the fourth quarter, scored three touchdowns in the last 10 minutes — the last on the final play of the game to send it to overtime — and then wound up losing 37-31. The whole time I was sitting in the press box, biting my fist to keep from alternately cheering and cursing, at one of the biggest college football comebacks I've ever seen.
    But I made it through it without embarrassing myself, and learned a valuable lesson. If I can make it through that without losing my cool, I can make it through anything. It's a memory that's served me well for 25+ years now.

maumann, Liut, dixiehack and 5 others like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Pfft this is nothing compared to the old days!

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Take your like and get out of here.

Batman likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sadly similar to the worst of the old days.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Damn, Langston didn't get a chance to jump your ass. Well done, sir.

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LOL ... Couple of years later I gave him the opportunity to do that by going down on the field pregame and lingering down there after the game started. His exact words, said with as much menace as a KGB agent suggesting a vacation in Siberia, were, "We have a seat for you in the press box. Please use it."
    I did, but not before I got to see the Ole Miss and Florida cheerleaders slap fighting each other for stepping on each other's turf when the teams were coming out of the tunnel. That was another career highlight.

spikechiquet and Liut like this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Pics?

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Love it.
    I once got an intern credentialed to take pics for me. Kid also liked LSU and decided to wear a cap indicating so. Ole Miss wasn't playing LSU but on the drive I schooled the young man on why it wasn't a professional look, all the while thinking of Langston.
    Worked with LR on some historical pieces and he was quite helpful and gracious. However, he is still the most intense gameday SID I've ever encountered.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted