1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

John Moore is the Denver Gazette's Senior Arts Journalist, and a former longtime Deputy Sports Editor for The Denver Post. He compiled this list with some assistance from his brother, Kevin.

LOL.

Roscablo likes this.
  2. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

1. I, too, root for the clock.
    2. I had a similar policy. It was OK for one team to make a run. Two or more? No.
    3. If a team made it to the state tournament, it better win the championship. No going there to get lit up by 40 points in the opening round.
    4. My newsroom nickname for the kids who qualified for state track only to finish 16th out of 16 runners was "start-and-parkers", like in NASCAR.

maumann, Liut and playthrough like this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I quietly cheered for a good game to write about. No fucks given about teams or how long or short it took.

I am also still wondering why Stephanie Ruhle has not been fired. (Narrator: She won't be.)

MNgremlin likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I remember when I was at a journalism conference several years ago and Sara Ganim went scorched earth on the Penn State media and said sports writers couldn't do crime reporting and just ate and looked at stat sheets. She was promptly ratio'd on Twitter.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"couldn't" or wouldn't, she wasn't wrong.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

She was wrong. Of course there are some scribes who are lazy and don't want to go near that but there are others who could absolutely leave the press box tomorrow and become full-time crime/courts writers.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In specific reference to Penn State - which is the quote I'm answering - she was absolutely right.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ah, gotcha. Yeah in hindsight that's fair.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Memories of that setup from my Gannett days haunt me to this day. We were shedding staff, cutting travel and freelance budgets to the bone, as they are putting up a huge bank of big flat-screen TVs as a "leaderboard", and a corporate boot-licker was all hardcore about, "We want you guys to fight for page views! Get in each other's faces when you are ahead of them on the leaderboard! This is like the Hunger Games, and if you want to be here, you need to be at the top of those rankings!" And you could easily tell who had aspirations on being the next corporate bullshit artist, because they would spend lots of their time just sitting in front of those banks of TVs, studying the leaderboard and pretending to take notes, then calling individuals into a conference room for closed-door meetings.

And calling it "clicks" was grounds for punishment.

Fucking hell on earth.

Fdufta and Liut like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

second place is a set of steak knives

ggr1.jpg

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Slight counterpoint: Unless operated by a non-profit, the newspaper is not always a knick-knack shop full of hobgoblins pursuing whatever arcane stories they fancy. It's nice that Eric the sports editor likes college hockey; spending 30 of a GA's 40 hours writing stories that fewer than 1000 people read is not necessarily the best use of resources. What used to be "our coverage is driven in part by those who complain about what we didn't cover" has changed to "those three people who called were 3 of...322 people who read the last story."

But the monitors and stats have been misused, yes, especially in that hunger games fashion. What they usually say is: Good features, columns and sports always do well, as does consequential hard news coverage. Save the meeting blow-by-blow for Twitter; write substantial hard news.

Draft saved Draft deleted