1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not the same Auld Lang Syne: RIP Dan Fogelberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 16, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just a feeling that your Kenny Loggins awful moments coincide with some of my best. ;)

One of my coolest memories was popping into my car on a Friday morning in 1977, buying "Celebrate Me Home" at the mall, and then bouncing to about 10 country high schools to shoot preseason basketball mugs, playing the cassette the whole time.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if by inspirational you mean driving a man to the verge of wanting to cut his wrists with a shard of glass, then yeah, i agree.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I agree with Blitz on McDonald. His work with Steely Dan, Doobies, and on Loggins' "This Is It" are great. He was damn good doing backup vocals because his voice is distinct.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mcdonald is the polar opposite of fogelberg. DF was all about writing something, anything, with meaning. mcdonald wouldn't know meaning if it kicked him in the ass.

5. I was thinking more the "Pooh Corner" era. Early Loggins/Loggins and Messina stuff are OK by me.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I never said that MM was a phenom. Just sayin' that he was great in being a backup singer. The only two songs I've liked out his early schtick is "What a Fool Believes" and "I Keep Forgettin'." Besides that, I can sing more of DF's songs than MM. I didn't mind "Sweet Freedom" (the song, certainly not the movie.)

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The girl in Same Auld Lang Syne talks.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/122207/PHI_BF98B7KI.054.php

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Seriously cool.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wow. That's an outstanding story.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Great, great column.

A great story and very well-told. Reading something like that can make your night.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good work by the writer.
    A well-penned piece. An interesting, neat story.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Thanks for that link.
    I have played that song at least 15 times in the last week.
    Some of the comments at the end of the column are worth reading.
    Looks like the columnist misquoted the woman.

Draft saved Draft deleted