1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not the same Auld Lang Syne: RIP Dan Fogelberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It bummed me out to hear he passed away this morning.

Leader of the Band is one of my favorite songs for reasons that go back to something my dad did for me when I was in high school.

And I agree with the folks who like Same Auld Lang Syne and Run for the Roses. Both great songs.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I couldn't hear one of the songs in my head right now, but if I put on Netherlands I bet within the first few chords of each song I'd remember the whole thing. My sister used to play it constantly back in the day.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

2B, the Rolling Stone's treatment of Fogelberg was one of the things which turned me against the magazine for good.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's merely a studio creation, a la a disco song or techno or Milli Vanilli..or Toto, for that matter.. I'm just saying that the LP, non-live, version was heavily overdubbed and overlaid. As was a lot of stuff by singer-songwriters during the 1970s; which is strange given the power of a lot of the lyrics and the subtlety of the voices.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You made my day, Shotty. :)

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fogelberg and his music were easy targets. but god dammit, he sang about "something," which is what i loved about his music.

i don't expect the next generation to understand what he meant to the folks of mine.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm away from home right now but when I get back tomorrow I will be listening to my greatest hits CD.
    It's nice to see the man remembered so fondly by folks here.
    If you like Fogelberg, give Al Stewart a shot, "Song on the Radio" and "Time Passages" are good music.
    Also, Gerry Rafferty, "Home and Dry," "Days Gone By" and of course, "Baker Street."

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I love Heart Hotels. RIP.

And thanks to all for the great personal stories & stories of Dan. Good stuff.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Great post, TP. Great post.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to Elton John's voice. He cannot "properly" sing most of his classics that have higher notes anymore, most notably Rocket Man.

Artists find a way around that by re-interpreting their songs. I'm not into Fogelberg, but apparently, he was successful in that regard.

RIP.

11. crunchy frog

crunchy frog New Member

I didn't realize so many of my sports colleagues were Dan Fogelberg fans. I remember taking a lot of grief for that in the late 70s and early 80s. I guess it should make sense. We all appreciate good writing.

I saw him live 3 times, but one time was special. It was the summer of 1979. He was still working on the Innocent Age album and not touring, but played a special solo concert at the Civic Center in Portland, Maine, as a fundraiser for a group promoting a referendum opposing nuclear power. Dan played his patented 2-plus hour show. The highlight was playing two new songs that he said he had never played live - Same Auld Lang Syne and Leader of the Band. At many concerts, when a band/person plays an unfamiliar song, there might be some polite applause afterwards while waiting for the hits. Not this night. Both songs received standing ovations, and he seemed genuinely moved by the reaction.

RIP Dan. You provided joy to many.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I only got to see him live once back in 1987, but there are still distinct memories. I was deeply in love at the time and the day started with a trip to a waterpark about 2 1/2 hours away from home, then the trek back to the home town for the show. Changed into dry clothes in the car while driving. The show was great. After the show we stopped at a Baskin Robbins stand (the amphitheater was on festival grounds and a festival was going on that weekend) and had Chocolate and Peanut Butter ice cream for the very first time. A perfect top-off to a perfect day.

Draft saved Draft deleted