1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not the same Auld Lang Syne: RIP Dan Fogelberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 16, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You've never hesitated to be wrong before. Why start now?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

And we're off!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We need to check with Boom on this. And where's the frickin' sj official statement of condolence already??!

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Somehow, I totally forgot that Dan Fogelberg sang "Longer"... what a beautiful song....

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

"Same Auld Lang Syne" is schmaltz, but it's powerful, true schmaltz, if that's possible ... damn song always makes my throat close up, and I've been happily married for 25 years.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to hear people weigh in on Harry Chapin's "Taxi" as a precursor of sorts -- albeit with different circumstances and perspectives.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Johnny -- Obviously, Harry Chapin's death was even more untimely.
    Comparing the songs, I loved "Taxi" back when it was current, but I don't think it has aged as well ... the romantic pose of the hippie dropout guy who passed on the house with the "fine-trimmed lawn" to drive a cab rather than sell out to middle-class values, etc., is a real '70s relic.
    Seeing an "old lover in the grocery store, as snow was falling Christmas Eve,"
    that's a little more timeless. Until global warming intensifies, anyway.
    I think that's why you never hear "Taxi" on the radio, while "Cat's in the Cradle" is a classic rock/oldies staple.

8. Chapin ... another guy I liked a lot, and another guy who died far too young.

What was the official story on his death? Some have said the impact of his car crash killed him, but others say he had a grabber before the wreck.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

post. of. the. day.

damn, i laughed my ass off.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Wikipedia's take on it, Lyman:

I loved his music like I loved Fogelberg's. Chapin's "Greatest Stories Live" album was an absolute classic.

11. Thanks, shot. Agree with you completely.

Tells you what kind of guy Chapin was when you read he was driving a VW Rabbit. Fame didn't affect him too much, did it?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If WOLD was not the inspiration for WKRP in Cincinnati, it should have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted