1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter says she would boycott Masters until women allowed at Augusta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So should all female reporters assigned to cover the Middle East feel that way?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This, buck, is a generational issue, too.

It wasn't as "you go, dude" to tell your administrator that you didn't want to do your job in the previous generation.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

What do you think the odds are they don't?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I for one enjoyed the comparison of the ANGC membership committee to the Guardian Council.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I'm pretty sure there were a lot more employee strikes and walkouts (aka, "don't want to do my job", for reasons both personal and professional) in the last three or four generations than there have been in mine.

Besides, Karen Crouse is not in my generation.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Buck: I have certainly covered events at places I could never get into if I was not reporting.

Racial/ethnic, no. Economic discrimination, sure. I have covered events at gold clubs I simply could not afford to be a member of.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Didn't think anyone had to spell this out ...

You are allowed to make more money and join said clubs. Crouse cannot change her gender and become a member of ANGC.

Calling that discrimination is disingenuous.

8. jr/shotglass

Equating her stated intentions with an employee walkout or strike -- that's disingenuous.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How I wish more women posted on this board.

10. jr/shotglass

I don't disagree with you. But why this time?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Y'all are allowed to, this isn't Augusta.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I didn't equate her intentions. You spoke of a generational divide about "telling your administrator you didn't want to do your job." I pointed out that a lot more people from yours and Karen's generation have acted on that sentiment than they have in mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted