1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter says she would boycott Masters until women allowed at Augusta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"She's been spoken to."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, if Joe Sexton needs a talking to, it ain't coming from me. Don't know the guy. Don't work there. My reader asked me to direct her to someone who could handle this.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Send her to MoDo.

www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/opinion/sunday/dowd-what-would-jesus-do-at-the-masters.html?hp

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

this post belongs on the dimwit thread.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Dimwit meaning the caller, Moddy, not you.

Just didn't want you being confused.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I am a dimwit.
    Still not totally sure what's going on!

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

“If it were left to me, which it seldom is in the power structure of writer versus editor, I’d probably not come cover this event again until there is a woman member,” Crouse said Thursday.

You're right. She hedged that statement with the word "probably."

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

You are not the only one whose readers or viewers aren't quite sure about where people work.

A friend who was a sports anchor for an NBC affiliate in a large Midwestern market answered the phone one evening in the early 1980s.

He told me the caller asked, "I'd like to speak with John Chancellor."

The sports anchor told me he said, "He's not here."

He told me the caller then said, "What do you mean he's not here? I just saw him on your station."

The sports anchor told me he told the caller that Chancellor was in New York City, several hundred miles away.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Question here.

Should the fact that Karen is female make a difference in her saying what she said, or the reaction from her sports editor, or the reaction on this thread?

Just want to be clear about the playing field.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Her entire gender is being discriminated against. That's the only reason we're even discussing this issue, or why she said what she said.

To turn this strictly into a discussion about journalism or how a reporter should behave misses the whole point.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Maybe.

I know that my first reaction was not gender-related. It was that you, the writer, don't say you'd "just as soon not cover" something you've been assigned to. Had nothing to do with female/male at that level.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Have you ever been assigned to cover an event at a place that discriminates against you? I haven't. But I would think that's a much more important level, personally, than a so-called breach of professionalism.

More reporters should say what Crouse said, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted