1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Simpson -- dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 11, 2024.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I seem to remember from the Made in America doc that Darden was an utter disaster for the prosecution.

But, again, that doc made me realize the verdict had nothing to do with that specific case. It was so much bigger.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

IF (and it is a gargantuan IF) he didn’t do it himself, he died knowing who did it.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The problem with the prosecution wasn't that they didn't prove the case with evidence; the problem was there was SO MUCH evidence some of it was self-contradictory.

And the defense and much of the sensationalist screech machine media took the well-established legal principle:

The Accused must be Presumed Innocent of the charges Unless and Until Proven Guilty Beyond a Reasonable Doubt,

and perverted it into:

The Accused Must Always And Forever Be ASSUMED Innocent of All Charges even if Proven Guilty Beyond All CONCEIVABLE Doubt, Even If (or especially if) the crime was committed in full public view. NO possible amount of evidence can ever be sufficient to overcome the infinite and eternal assumption of innocence.

Since a suspect would obviously be insane to commit a crime leaving ample evidence and witnesses to prove their guilt, attorneys have now adopted the operational philosophy that overwhelming evidence of guilt is proof of innocence.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The documentary showed me that this was the LAPD’s comeuppance for abusing the blacks and I kinda got that even if I thought OJ was a scumbag and should fry for those murders.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not like that trial took the LAPD from a beloved institution among black people to one that was reviled. Boyz n the Hood was made 3 of 4 years before that trial. So I don't see the "comeuppance." A verdict that had nothing to do with a just outcome in a specific murder trial did nothing to the LAPD itself. The LAPD was under fire (already) with or without a jury finding a murderer not guilty.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think everyone acknowledged that the LAPD was not viewed positively by the black community - the King video showed everyone why. Thirty years later, thanks to video - we still see police acting like thugs.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

DNA evidence was still relatively new at the time and incomprehensible to many. Nowdays the jury would not be bamboozled by the defense's tactics to discredit the DNA evidence.

The DNA does not lie. He did it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is there that much of a leap between the Simpson defense and what Trump is doing? Present false "facts" - lie, whatever you need to do to give people a basis - no matter how flawed, to make a poor decision and be able to defend it.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m sure they were buddies and someone could find a photo of the two together if they tried. OJ referenced “The Don” and “fake news” in one of his last Twitter videos.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. It's the nature of giving power to certain people over others. And the abuse gets heaped on the people who are most powerless to do anything about it.

You said something about vide0. ...I actually think a cell phone that can record video in everyone's hand has done more (and continues) to create change than anything else. The fact that we see police acting like thugs is what actually has made more people care and take notice, and as a result, more cops have been held to account (which makes others think twice). It used to be they could get away with things, but videos posted on social media can't be denied, and when you reach a lot of people with it, it creates movements.

12. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

"The problem with the prosecution wasn't that they didn't prove the case with evidence; the problem was there was SO MUCH evidence some of it was self-contradictory."
    Correct and that's why Johnnie Cochran's "if it doesn't fit you must acquit" was so brilliant -- concise, easy to understand and memorable.

Draft saved Draft deleted