1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And imagine what attendance would be in either place if they float into Montreal in late May already 12 games out of first, or back to Tampa for the ass end of a 100-loss season.

Woody Long and Baron Scicluna like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How anyone from Alabama thinks they can talk shit about Long Beach ...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    poindexter likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does Long Beach have a Bahama Bob’s? Advantage Alabama.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Vegas is great for about three days
    Longer than that it’s a bit much

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

What did Davis say when the Raiders left Oakland for Los Angeles, and then left Oakland again for Las Vegas? Didn't they fuXX Oakland too, or was that just a happy, mutual breakup?

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Lumpe played second base the first game I saw in person at Tiger Stadium. Don Demeter was in center. Based on box scores on bb-ref, that puts it in 1965 because Mickey Mantle hit a homer for the Yankees but the Tigers won. So two championships and 57 years of mostly mediocre to downright awful. I don't think I've used my rooting interest wisely.

If, on the other hand, I had been an A's fan -- good God, that's actually hard to make my fingers type that -- I'd have celebrated four championships and had great seats all to myself for decades, plus future Las Vegas trips.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No sleep til Brooklyn

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was fun 25-30 years ago. But I can get card games here. I can do sports gambling from my couch. And I don't have to suck in secondhand smoke when I'm dealt a 9-7 at the blackjack table.

swingline likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Saw an A’s game in 1996. All I recall it cost next to nothing to get in. Great seats. Some sort of promotion. But the concession were more expensive than I’d ever seen at the time.

Only other thing I recall is Mark McGwire smashed the hardest hit ball I’ve ever seen in person. Line drive double off the wall.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They've jacked their prices up a ton. Spent $20 two years back on bleacher seats - each. During the Billy Ball era I bought first level seats vs. the Yankees for an August game - it was a half-price night. $2.50. That would be less than $10 today.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Been there, done that - several times.

Draft saved Draft deleted