1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The sideline seats in what becomes right field fold up at US Bank Stadium, so it's 300 feet with a 34 foot high fence.

The bigger issue is the Gophers only get 3 weeks of use most years, and they don't even get that this year because they're replacing the turf in March, when they'd be using it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Are there any contingency plans for the Twins to use the stadium if they get hit with an early season snowstorm that threatens to wipe out an entire series?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of RIP Oakland as a sports town stories And sure, I'm disappointed. I grew up at the Coliseum, A's, Warriors, Raider games, even some indoor soccer and NASL Oakland Stompers. And yet, the city never really had a chance just based on the economics of it. Vegas can tax tourists, the Warriors received a sweetheart deal with prime SF real estate. I'll enjoy the memories.

Liut and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I can say I have seen the Seals and the NASL Earthquakes.

Liut likes this.
  5. DanOregon

never saw the seals, saw Paul Child and the Earthquakes and the Golden Bay Earthquakes MISL team. Fun times.

maumann likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Earthquakes were a San Jose team, as is the MLS squad. NASL had the Oakland Stompers in the mid-70s and, in a different soccer era, the Oakland Clippers of the NPSL.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The indoor Quakes played at the Coliseum as well.

And don't forget the Oakland Oaks of the ABA, which won a championship with Rick Barry.

The other things I remember were the concerts. Day on the Green were massively successful but I also saw ELO and Fleetwood Mac at the Arena in 1981-1982.

Liut likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seen online. YGBFKM.
    Screenshot_20231120_215722_MONOPOLY Solitaire.jpg

10. DanOregon

I've noticed they've stopped using the "Oakland" part of the team name on their e-mails.

11. DanOregon

I know I did an "A's - Warriors" double-header at one point. Numerous Raiders games before and after LA. Saw Billy Joel, Alabama, Huey Lewis, Genesis in the Arena. WWF (Jimmy Superfly Snuka/The Tonga Kid), Kareem with the Bucks, Rick Barry, Sleepy Floyd, But the best times were when I'd go with friends or a brother to games - I was 12, we'd hop on BART for an afternoon game, few people in the stands (between the Mustache Gang and Billyball eras ) - it was great. Roy Steele The Voice of God. The Dixieland band. Krazy George.
    And then I'd go to Candlestick and it just seemed like a lot more of a hassle and not as fun to see a Giants game.

maumann and qtlaw like this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I would still like to see a game there just to enjoy the weirdness of it, but it actually gives the facility a little extra utility. Depending upon the winter, college teams can't really play outdoors around here sometimes until late March and early April and so it creates opportunities for them to get games in. Also, the layout of it is very similar to the Metrodome with a temporary wall in right field, just with temporary box dugouts.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted