1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. From anywhere in the East Bay in the late 1970s, we could ride bikes to BART, take the train for a couple of bucks round-trip, spend less than $3 on A's tickets and avoid the hassle (and weather) of Candlestick, especially mid-week day games. If you didn't care who won, it was usually a glorious day.

Candlestick required a car, tolls, parking, plus ski jackets and hard warmers. And the baseball was just as sh*tty.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I always wanted to see the Superdome in a baseball configuration, but I don't think it's been used post-Katrina.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And now in my Facebook feed is a similar deal for the Braves, so maybe it's a rotating thing?

4. HanSenSE

maumann likes this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Should have named them the Oakland Arthur’s, short for Arthur Fonzarelli, so they could be the Oakland Ayyyyyyyes.

I’ll see myself out

2muchcoffeeman, maumann and swingline like this.
  6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

what a sorry franchise - it is unbelievable how pathetic they are.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Do they have a transcript?

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

@micropolitan guy has way more of an extensive knowledge of all the iterations and machinations of the franchise, but the Athletics have been boom or bust ever since the beginning of the American League. This is more than the Curse of Roy, Earle, Connie Jr. and Charlie O.

The $100,000 Infield. Cochrane, Simmons, Foxx and Grove. The Swingin' A's. The Bash Brothers. And a whole lot of really bad baseball in between.

Fans in Philly, K.C. and Oakland have put up with some putrid front offices, only to get gouged when the teams sell all their best players. Lather, rinse, repeat for 120 years. Las Vegas is about to get more of the same.

wicked likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Don't disagree, except for Connie Jr. He was the son with brains and had many ideas to re-invigorate the Philly A's and tried several times to either buy the franchise outright from his idiot older half-brothers (keeping his dad as the nominal president), or to bring in outside investors as minority partners who would have infused some much-needed cash into the operation.

Many in the A's organization, including players like Lew Brissie, wanted him to run the team but his set-in-his-ways father would not buy into his plans, and his idiot half-brothers hated him because he was so much smarter.

He finally bailed when his brothers bought his shares in 1950 or so after his latest bid to buy them out failed. He moved to Fort Meyers, where the A's had trained for many years, and went into private business. He was very successful and his son, Connie Mack III, eventually became a 2- or 3-term Senator from Florida, back in the days when complete idiots didn't run that state.

Had Connie Jr. taken control, I really believe the A's would still be in Philadelphia. His potential investors had more money than the Carpenters.

Dog8Cats and maumann like this.
  11. HanSenSE

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When the mayor of the new town doesn't support you......

garrow and tapintoamerica like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted