1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't think the Super Bowl high rollers are going to be staying at Circus Circus any time soon. Ha.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No - but I also figured the town would be so booked with the corporate types and high rollers and various people "doing business" this week - even Circus Circus would be more expensive and booked. Figure 65k fans in the stands, I'd also guess a there are at least that many who will bail out of Vegas Friday and Saturday.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

A co-worker said rooms downtown were going for $800 a night, so even a shithole like Circus Circus should be getting more than $100.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd rather sleep in my car than stay at Circus Circus.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll be at the Rio in two weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing the sphere and laughing uncontrollably at the music selections at Guy Fieri's Mexican restaurant, which plays music you'd absolutely expect at a Mexican place operated by Fieri. Last year, I was eating fajitas to Alice n Chains, Spin Doctors and Alanis.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

As a kid in the late 6os, early 70s, we would go to Vegas every summer as my dad attended a trade show. There was nothing for me and my brothers to do until they opened Circus Circus, which we loved. I took my son there around 2010 when he was 12ish, and it looked like it hadn't changed or been upgraded since I was his age 40 years earlier.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And this is whose problem??

Tell the billionaires to shell out some fucking money.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They threw up 40,000-seat temporary boxing arenas in Vegas with a couple months notice and knocked em down again in a week or two. Get it done.

Throw up temporary expanded bleachers around the current AAA park to get it up to 35,000 capacity. Erect fiberglas fabric sun shade canopies (a-la many Euro soccer stadiums) over the bleachers and use misting systems to hold the heat down; play every game at night.

It'll suck for a couple years, but hey, it was your bright idea to move to Vegas.

If I were Oakland-Alameida County, I'd evict 'em right now. Padlock the doors. Get lost. Hit the fuckin road.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    qtlaw, Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This just showed up on my Facebook via SF Gate. (Who says Big Brother isn't watching)

It was $38 to stay at Circus Circus. Is it as gross as its reputation? (sfgate.com)

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I saw a link to an Athletic article by Kawakami with the headline "A's Wobbly Las Vegas Future." Anything dire about the plans?

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The goofy thing is, the A's can prosper with a good team, they regularly drew 2-2.5 million when they were competitive and ownership wanted to win.

I do not live in the Bay Area, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass, and I'll gladly defer to those who do and have more knowledge of the situation. But in any world (to me) it would make far more sense to spend $400-$600 million or even a billion, split between the team, MLB and some sort of user tax, and retrofit the Coliseum, which is in a convenient location, than to spend $2 billion on a new stadium.

MLB needs to have some balls with owners. Spend money and compete or GTFO. Everyone in Pittsburgh would be in favor.

Draft saved Draft deleted