1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Sacramento's average daily high in July and August is pretty damn close -- above 90 degrees nearly every day and streaks of 100s -- but "usually" the temperature drops some once the sun sets and the Delta wind blows through the Carquinez Strait. However, I remember plenty of nights when Mother Nature's air conditioning was on the fritz.

Don't let anybody fool you into thinking you don't need central AC in northern California, unless you're in Eureka, Point Reyes or Half Moon Bay.

Having said that, I'm not sure St. Louis weather isn't the worst in the bigs for summer swelter.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Having spent 5 yrs in Sac it’s nowhere close to CHI summer. (I had car w/o AC too)

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Sure, you can get on and off the highway to avoid tolls, but you’ll add lots of extra time onto the trip.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think Richmond has a ballpark deal in place, at the same site as The Diamond.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Giants won the series in ‘54, so they were three years removed from a WS title. Stoneham was looking to move the team anyways to Minneapolis as he owned the minor league team there and Metropolitan Stadium was being built. NYC could no longer support three major league teams, Giants were the third wheel and Giants and Dodgers both were in 40+ year old ballparks that had seen better days. It was pretty understandable that the Giants were going to have to move.

Dodgers, of course, were a different matter. O’Malley wanted to pay for and build his own stadium, which of course is much different than owners today. But he couldn’t convince Robert Moses to allow the city to take over the land that he wanted and sell it to him.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What the Bay Area needed to do, was create a "metro authority" similar to what the Phoenix area did, to tax hotel rooms and visitors, which the area gets a lot of - to fund stadiums. That's what Vegas does, the Phoenix area did it to fund spring training sites etc. Maybe then the 49ers would still be in SF and the A's and Raiders in Oakland.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

In his latest missive, Joe Sheehan obliterated Fisher and predicts the A's will be in Sacramento longer than three years.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Taxes! Why didn't California think of that before?!?!

Spartan Squad and HanSenSE like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's probably a major reason.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's why Oak was pitching a tough line in last negotiations, A's yearly TV deal is worth $67M/yr but only if they were in Oakland. They go to LV, lose that $$. Sacramento? Probably a reduced amount.

Fisher is worth $4B, has seen his team value go from $200M to $1.2B and he STILL refuses to spend any $$ (he gets by all these years because he's getting that revenue sharing$$). Never been an A's fan but damn I feel for my fellow BB fans here in the Bay Area who root/rooted for the A's.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Taxes on visitors - the locals don't feel the pinch. Of course, with BART, the need for a rental car is reduced.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

a) San Francisco already has a 14% hotel tax.

b) If you are going to increase the amount of tax money coming in -- hotel tax, whatever -- how many citizens want to see that money going to a new ballpark in Oakland? I suspect the answer is very, very few.

Draft saved Draft deleted