1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

With a little imagination that could very easily be a colorized version of a photo from the Emeryville stadium in the old PCL era, with Casey Stengel or Charlie Dressen managing the Oakland Oaks.

maumann likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Has the stadium deal in Las Vegas been finalized?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And has the MLBPA signed off on playing in Sacramento?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They might sign off on playing in San Bernardino if it meant ditching the Coliseum for good.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Capacity at the E Street stadium is 8,000, so that would be about right.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I would be all for them taking the Savannah Bananas route and barnstorming across the country next season in an old Greyhound bus as the Amazingly Agile Athletics. At least they'd have an advantage over the rest of the league trying to figure out what major airport is closest to Great Falls, Keokuk or multiple Springfields.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And downtime San Bernardino is just as safe as downtown Oakland

MileHigh and ChrisLong like this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Having worked downtown in Oak for 30 yrs and S.F. for past 5, these takes on crime are way overblown. Look at crime stats from FBI and the SF Bay Area is not the crime ridden areas it’s made out to be. It’s not Japan or Sweden but it’s pretty good considering the population.

exmediahack and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Oakland gets a tremendously bad rap, especially when there are some REALLY dangerous places in the Bay Area. (Hello, Vallejo, San Pablo, East Palo Alto and Richmond!)

Rockridge, Piedmont, Montclair and Grand Lake are as safe as any other affluent area of the country. And like most cities, there are parts of town where you might not want to get lost after dark. West Oakland, Coliseum/Hegenberger and Fruitvale come to mind.

We lived up on Pleasant Valley at Piedmont (right behind the old King's X bar), which was perfectly safe in the early 1980s. Of course, it didn't hurt that a colombarium and cemetery were right around the corner!

If I somehow acquired a huge fortune with the stipulation that I had to live in Oakland, I would love to have a place up on Skyline Boulevard. I'd rather have a view of San Francisco than live there.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My friends live near the top of a mountain above Skyline in what was Orinda. Previous home owner wanted to do an addition, but it was against code in Orinda. So Oakland annexed the property and the addition was done. The address now is in Oakland, but the houses across the street might still be in Orinda.

maumann likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the theories on that is that they're cooking the books. They don't prosecute or under-prosecute crimes, so people get discouraged and stop calling the police. If there aren't any crimes reported, the crime rate magically drops, right?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The other theory is that Fox News is lying to you relentlessly.

Draft saved Draft deleted