1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is the antithesis of what's happening because cops love high crime statistics. It allows them to expand the union ranks.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Except towns and cities are having trouble hiring police.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The rank and file cops are more eager to go to war for Stinky than they give a crap about jobs for younger cops that might take their jobs. Cops are the backbone of the III %ers.

Woody Long likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Let’s go back to science, please.

That’s not a theory, that’s a hypothesis, which is far from a theory. A theory has significant substantial scientific, numerical data to support it.

Anyone breathing can state a hypothesis.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Read somewhere that many police departments have intentionally avoided filing federal reports on crime statistics.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Had a cousin who lived with his wife at a cozy but nice two-bedroom flat in the Dimond District. Came out to visit them and really liked it. He used transit to go to a government job in SF and said I could borrow his car and drive up in the hills, which I did one day and hiked around a delightful park, though looking back I should have gone to the Schulz museum for obvious reasons. They did end up moving back to the east coast (she was from Virginia, they were starting a family and child care was impossible during COVID).

It turned out OK, though. Saw a no-hitter at the Coliseum on that trip.

maumann and qtlaw like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A's opened their last home stand ever Friday vs. Yankees. Then three with the Rangers.

How did it come to this? BANG brings Mark Purdy off the retired list to explain.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It certainly shouldn't be forgotten that Charlie Finley was threatening to move the franchise literally from the first day he arrived in Oakland.

So really, this day is six decades in the making.

SixToe likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My boss is going to be there for the last one. Fittingly, a 12:30 p.m. PDT game on Thursday.

maumann likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Used to love those afternoon getaway games. Grab a big sandwich, bring a book and kick back on the third deck with a beer and get some sun, (pre-Mt. Davis so you could see the Oakland hills and they didn't tarp it off.

maumann likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The return of the Raiders was the turning point for baseball in Oakland, as the Purdy piece pointed out. Ruined it for baseball. Hell, the couple of times I covered Raiders games there, I felt claustrophobic (which I am normally not), even during day games, thanks to Mt. Davis.

Warriors? They reworked the arena for Chris Cohan in the mid-90s, but he was too broke and too incompetent to do much else. And the Lacob group had eyes on San Francisco from the day they wrote the check to buy the team.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is funny though - that location is so perfect for a stadium complex from an access standpoint - freeways, public transport, within an hour of about 80 percent of the Bay Area population. But owners want to be "downtown" - with a block of retail/restaurants in the footprint where they can add to their revenues.

maumann, HanSenSE and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted