1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We hate to see you go
    We hate to see you go
    We hope to hell you never come back
    We hate to see you go

GIANTS BID FAREWELL

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They may be playing "Celebration," but it doesn't seem like it. Glad the A's won the close-out. Give the fans something. But there was a lot of celebrating on that field throughout the years.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A's catcher Shea Langeliers is the nephew of a woman I walk with every day at our neighborhood dog park.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Never change, Rickey.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hey, he could always lie ...

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My prior firm, we had mezzanine level seats you see (2nd level) behind home plate for probably over 30 years (I was in them when they set the all-time home winning streak, closing scene of "Moneyball" the movie).

So sad, only about 30% of those fans will be able to fit into the supposed Sacramento stadium.

10. DanOregon

Imagine using a Gertrude Stein reference in 2024. I imagine even she would be stunned. So many "landmarks" of the city have left or whatever, Ws, Raiders, A's, even the Oakland Tribune is no more. These were bedrock things of my youth. My eco-system as a teen.
    And I'm fine with the "no public money" argument on sports teams owned by millionaires and billionaires - but it isn't like the city took all of that money they could have spent on a stadium and put it all into schools, homelessness and crime.

Batman and maumann like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe Oakland did put some of that money into homelessness and crime because both are flourishing in that city. :)

12. DanOregon

One of the things I loved about watching The Wire is that Oakland and Baltimore should be sister cities. Both cities lost cherished football teams, got fb back, have booming port business, crime and school issues, along with political issues, - and now both have had bridge collapses.
    I'll be rooting for the Orioles in the playoffs.
    Anyway - if you want to know what happened in Oakland over the years, watch The Wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted