1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I know it's a toughie. I had never heard of this person until I visited a local museum that had a small exhibit that mentioned him. As a bonus, he moonlighted as a war correspondent.

Liut likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by stories of descendants of former presidents and patriots from way back. Apparently Harrison Ruffin Tyler (the grandson of John Tyler) is still alive at age 95. Tyler was president from 1841 to 1845.

I don't think there is another president with a living grandchild that's even close to that.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    Liut likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That is true, and there were two grandsons up until a little more than a year ago.
    Tyler was in his 70s when he fathered a son, and that guy was in his 70s or so when he fathered the two grandsons. That always grosses out the girls in my class when I do "Presidential Fun Facts."
    Same goes for when I bring up Grover Cleveland married what was essentially his daughter, who he helped raise after her father died.

Liut likes this.
  4. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

Had to look up the name, but I knew the person. John Wayles Jefferson, son of Eston Hemings. upload_2024-1-22_8-40-59.jpeg

5. Mr._Graybeard

Correct! He served as a colonel in the 8th Wisconsin Infantry, wounded twice. The American Battlefield Trust tells his story. John Wayles Jefferson

6. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

On the surviving Tyler, his father became president of William and Mary in 1888. A great-grandfather led local militia in 1775.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My kid went to W&M law school, so we heard all about the Tylers, not to mention Jefferson, Monroe, John Marshall and George Wythe.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Choosing a (current) House Rep for the VP slot has failed many times in presidential elections ('64, '84, '96, '12). When was the last time it worked?

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I guess it would be John Nance Garner. Pretty sure he was House Speaker.
    IIRC, Garner was the one quoted as saying VP, "wasn't worth a warm bucket of spit." There's speculation he didn't really say spit.

garrow likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Mojo Nixon in 1956?

Liut likes this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Nixon was a senator when Ike tabbed him for 52.

12. Mr._Graybeard

Alben Barkley?
    Oops, no looks like was in the Senate when he ran with Truman.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted