1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Superdome?

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Wrigley Field?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rich/Ralph Wilson/Whatever Corporate Name Stadium in Buffalo?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It is Wrigley Field, which was also the home of the Chicago Cardinals for some years.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's great. That's the key: two tenants.
    Anybody else find irony in the fact that Wrigley was the home of both the Cubs and the Cardinals? This is the first time this has occurred to me.

Batman and I Should Coco like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Since it’s going to be the 100th season for the New York Football Giants, who was their opponent in their first regular season game in 1925?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Duluth Eskimos. Just a WAG but what a great nickname. I realize it's culturally insensitive but I loved it for Edmonton's team.

Huggy likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Not the correct answer, but it is a great name.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not as great as the Providence Steam Roller.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And that franchise hasn't been the same since they changed the name.

Liut likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

And that’s the correct answer!

My personal favorite 1920s-era NFL team name is the Tonawanda Kardex (aka Lumbermen). They were a semipro team for a few years in the early 20s, filled out an application, paid the $50 fee, joined the NFL, played one road game against the Rochester Jeffersons, got killed 45-0, and never played another NFL game.

Liut and da man like this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wondering where you found this information. I just looked it up on Pro Football Reference, and it shows Giants Stadium first with 492 games, followed by Soldier Field (464), Arrowhead (428), Lambeau (423), the Bills' stadium (415), LA Coliseum (409) and the Superdome (401). Wrigley is 10th on its list with 370 games.

This list (NFL, AFL, and AAFC Stadiums | Pro-Football-Reference.com) includes NFL, AFL and AAFC games, which I guess could be the difference in the two, as the AAFC's Chicago Rockets/Hornets played at Soldier Field for four seasons, and AFL or AAFC teams also played in Buffalo, LA, San Diego and Cleveland, although that doesn't explain the Superdome.

Draft saved Draft deleted