1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maine is 14th, but you're on the right track of a smaller state.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Katy Ladecky was from Maryland too.

Well, Minnesota won a ton of golds by winning the 1960 and 1980 hockey golds. The women won in 2018 and 1998. They probably have the odd one in swimming too, and Minnesota doesn't have that many people.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not Minnesota. They're only No. 7.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Colorado? Figure there’s a lot of skiers and winter athletes.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Colorado is third, with 1.07 gold medals per 100,000 residents.
    I'll give it a couple more guesses before giving the answer, so we don't get into the "name every state" game.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm just now seeing the list I'm going off of here includes Paralympic athletes, which appears to make a big difference.

The answer we were looking for is Vermont, which has 17 gold medals — 12 of them by Paralympic skier Sarah Will — for an average of 2.63 per 100,000 residents. If you take out Will, the state only has four gold medals but still ranks an impressive third per one million residents.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who is the only NFL player to appear in a Pro Bowl and win a Grammy?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Rosey Grier? I think he did singing and acting after his playing career.

Alex Karras should have won an Oscar for Mongo in Blazing Saddles to go along with his Pro Bowls.

9. DanOregon

I'll pay it off in 30 minutes.

10. DanOregon

It is Mike Reid - who wrote the above and won the Grammy for Stranger in my House for Ronnie Milsap. Was an All-Pro DL for the Bengals, retired after four years to focus on music and due to some injuries. I can't Make you Love Me is one of those "all-timers" when it comes to songs. Timeless and always true. Covered by Adele, George Michael and Boyz to Men among others

Oddly enough - ICMYLM never received a Grammy nomination. But was inducted into the Grammy HOF in 2016.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Who was the first switch-hitter in MLB history to homer from both sides of the plate three times in the same season?

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I’ll guess Eddie Murray, although there probably was someone before him.

Draft saved Draft deleted