1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He played a lot of corner infield/DH in the latter part of his career.

2. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

He was one of my favorite players in his prime, including with the hated Redbirds.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I seem to remember him playing quite a bit at third base for the Cards, but Baseball Reference says he only played two games there with St. Louis. Guess I'm thinking of Joe Torre, who was the Braves' catcher when I first started watching baseball and became an All-Star third baseman with St. Louis.

4. micropolitan guy

Eddie Collins got his 3,000th hit on 6/3/1925. Hank Aaron got his 3,000th hit on 5/17/1970.

In the 45-year period between those milestone days, only one MLB player reached the 3,000-hit plateau. Who was he?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Stan Musial.

6. micropolitan guy

Well as often happens the source of this question provided incorrect information. There are two players between 1925-1970 who reached 3k hits, and Musial is indeed one of them (1958). However, one person preceded him, that's who I am looking for.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Willie Mays?

8. micropolitan guy

No, before Musial.

Batman likes this.
  9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Paul Waner?

10. micropolitan guy

Yes, Big Poison, on 7/19/1942, while playing for the Boston Braves. I had no idea he ended his career with a brief cameo with the New York Yankees.

His brother, Lloyd, is considered one of the three worst HOF players, foisted upon Cooperstown by the Frankie Fritsch Veterans Committee. Along with Rabbit Maranville and Rick Farrell.

cyclingwriter2 and Batman like this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking it up, Tris Speaker got his 3,000th hit on May 17, 1925. It’s kinda wild how two guys got their 3,000th hit within less than three weeks from each other, then only two more guys get their 3,000th in a 45-year span.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Going super obscure:
    Name the only brothers to lead the NFL in weekly rushing during the 1980s. Some hints to see if it shakes anything lose in the memory banks.
    — they both did it in a week three (one in 1985 and one in 1986)
    — one played for the colts and the other for the buccaneers.
    — sibling rivalry must have been strong since one went to Ole Miss and the other played for Miss. State
    — football skills didn’t end with them, they had a third running back brother who played for the Redskins.

Draft saved Draft deleted