1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't mind SVP not shit-housing LeBastard on national TV, but good grief......
    You could tell SVP was not real comfy.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Passan just muttered "fuck" under his breath.
    He would have been gone in 20 regardless.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

25 million.
    And has a salary from the Marlins of 5 million per.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The whole narrative is flawed. Everyone is going back to ARod & Sabathia because the Yankees haven't done this in 10 years. Since, Boston, both LA teams and others have done it many times. They weren't even in on Stanton on the 1st go round, but once he limited his teams it was a unique opportunity that they had an advantage, not because of their pockets, but because a player chose them. Welcome to the 21st century sports. They are under the cap this year. They can absorb his contract because many of their best players (Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Bird) are making the league minimum.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm mostly in agreement, I just like to get OOP riled up sometimes. Incredibly, the Yankees could conceivably acquire Machado, too, and remain under the cap.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Yankees have done it plenty and they are doing it again. There is nothing wrong with the narrative. The Yankees can always keep every player they want to keep and they can take on massive contracts at any time. They choose to stay under the luxury tax threshold, but they can go over it and still make money. How many other teams in the majors can do that?

You can claim the narrative is false all you like, but the Yankees were still second in the majors in payroll in 2017, and only that low because the Dodgers' payroll was bloated beyond belief. They had a payroll advantage of at least $68 million over the bottom half of all franchises in the majors. You could actually add together the payrolls of the team that was 16th overall in payroll, the Rockies, and the team that was 29th, the Padres and it would still be slightly lower than the Yankees by themselves.

It's not a matter of riled up, though I appreciate pern's humor there. It's the very real narrative that hands the Yankees a built-in advantage over nearly every franchise in the majors every year.

Regarding Sabathia, that year was just the most extreme example of buying a championship in the last 10 years. They had the highest payroll in the game before free agency started, then they brought in the top player on the market (Sabathia), the top hitter (Teixeria) and the second-best pitcher (Burnett), while not losing any player they didn't want to lose. This was the response to the 13-year streak of playoff appearances being snapped and the result was their most recent World Series championship.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, this is interesting.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Yankees only have six players making more than 10 million a year in 2018. Even after arbitration they will probably only have seven guys making more than 7 million. It's a far cry from what it used to be.

For example
    Detroit has 4 making more than 10 million, after arbitration its 5 more than 7 mill plus 8 million for Verlander's deal
    Baltimore has 5 making more than 10 million, after arbitration its the same 7 as Yankees making at least seven.
    San Fran has 9 players making more than 10 million and after arb they go to 10 making more than 7

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And yet they still had the second-highest payroll in MLB by the end of the 2017 season and that was before taking on Stanton.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don’t know about you, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Ohtani era.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    sgreenwell likes this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Japanese arms are suspect as hell.

If I might put on my conspiracy hat for a moment: Ohtani posted early, and took a huge financial hit for doing so, because he knew that his elbow doesn't have much left in it and he wouldn't be nearly the prize as a hitter alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted