1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When is the last time a team traded away the "face of the franchise" when he still had something left in the tank? The Mariners with Griffey maybe?

(Or I guess the Marlins with Stanton).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way in hell the players would oppose a floor.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

To get a floor you need a cap. No way in hell the players want a cap.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A floor would inevitably lead to a cap. I doubt the players would ever agree to a floor.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can't arbitrarily implement a floor without linkage. Which means you need a cap.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

7. outofplace

Why can't you just have a floor? You can do it. The teams just won't accept it, because then the low-revenue franchises might actually push back against the system.

The floor could be a condition of revenue sharing. If they don't want a floor, then revenue sharing goes away.

The owners have conned the players and many fans into accepting things as linked that don't have to be done together. It's a well-played con, but it's still a con.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is a laughable. Please tell me how they just decide on a floor without linkage to revenue?

9. outofplace

I said you can have it without total revenue sharing and you can. I already explained how it would work. You are too busy being your usual baseball apologist self to see it.

The owners have you conned. Granted, it isn't hard to con you, but I guess I have to give them some credit because you're not alone.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You haven’t explained a damn thing. Cmon rain man put your proposal out there. Yelling floor, floor and apologist is not a proposal.

So tell us how you come up with a salary floor without salaries tied to a percentage of revenues.

11. outofplace

Scroll up and read, pile jumper. Also, I never said it wouldn't be tied to revenues. That is another failure in reading comprehension on your part.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Please tell me this isn't what you pass off as a solution.

Draft saved Draft deleted