1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Longoria is a nice sounding name acquisition but hardly in his prime.

Nice to get rid of Span (jeez GIants are awful with FA OFs, Rowand, Span).

Hate to see Arroyo go, he's got a nice bat and last real prospect left in farm (Beede?)

At least Longoria is better than seeing Panda out there.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't remember that Rowand had that good of a year his last season with the Phillies. That didn't work out well. But Span kind of sucked before the Giants had him. Unless they thought he would walk more and give them real good defense, not sure how they could've expected a lot from him.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nope. There was more, though that was part of it. MLB could have put in a floor as a condition of increased revenue sharing and it could do it now as a condition of keeping revenue sharing in place.

That wasn't all I proposed, but I haven't offered a comprehensive proposal. I just mentioned basics. There is no salary floor because the owners choose not to have one and they choose to connect it to a cap.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That was in their phase when they felt like they and they alone could live without home runs. They wised up, but a little late.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Can you show me a league that has a floor that does not have a cap? I imagine there is one.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can you prove to me that you can't have a floor with a cap? No, but the owners in MLB have you conned into that one.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good answer.

Sure you can. You can just magically come up with a number and say this is the floor. Good luck with that.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just checked, Rowand had hit .309 (.889 OPS) his final year with the Phillies. Man that stance of his was awful to watch, but yeah .309 in the MLB so who was I to question.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Arroyo is coming off a hand injury (hell, who wasn't injured on last year's Giants). Plus, he's more of a SS and will never see time there behind Crawford. Sandoval will be a servicable backup and PH.

Span? Not a lot of power, plus you need good wheels to play a CF as spacious as at AT&T Park.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of course, but I cannot watch Panda any longer, PH or otherwise. While he had 3 HRs and a few big hits in the Championship run in 2012, he was filler in 2010 and had his biggest years in 2009 and 2011 which, coincidentally (?) was when they did not win. (Ok, he was a stud in 2014 LCS/WS)

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For a team doing as well financially and a front-office that has been together as long as they have, it always surprises me how hard of a time the Giants have had developing outfielders and not having an answer at third base after Sandoval took off for Boston three years later.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Flu-Like Symptoms: It's Not Gambling If You Can't Lose - Baseball Prospectus

Draft saved Draft deleted