1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are making a joke at my expense (which is fine) about the Reese Witherspoon argument, but I was right about that, as I often am, although, depending on which poster you ask, my motivation is that I am either "creepy and misogynistic" (RickStain) or merely hate journalism and journalists (Typefitter, Alma, Double Down, Cranberry) due to my own failed career (Typefitter, Alma, Cranberry). Or I am trolling (OOP, Ragu, Typefitter). Or a "pedant" (Typefitter and, I think, you).

Publications that are actually paying attention instead of just regurgitating what they were sent on the wire or ripped off from another website frequently align with me, in fact. If you poke around the Internet, you'll see a lot of the better publications changed "reveals" to "says" on the Witherspoon story. I took a ripping here from the Most Honored Journalist on SJ.com for arguing that the Associated Press should not have written in a headline and lede that Hope Solo had accused Sepp Blatter of "sexual assault." Then, within hours, AP itself re-wrote the headline and lede. Meanwhile, the reporter who wrote the initial headline and lede was re-tweeting "you go, girl"-type tweets re: Hope Solo.

Anyway, it's been quite a different offseason for the White Sox this year than last.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A joke, yes. At your expense? Eh.

And diagram that first sentence.

3. Dick Whitman

I'd rather talk about the White Sox.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe the Giants believe there's value in experienced players as the other teams have (over?) shifted toward youth?

5. Dick Whitman

I would tell you that having watched Austin Jackson toil for Chicago's two teams in recent back-to-back summers, that there is no value in Austin Jackson.

But apparently he went to Cleveland, perhaps picked up a hitting tip or two from our own @TheSportsPredictor, and appears to be serviceable again.

6. TheSportsPredictor

I checked the TB12 book out of the library to Austin Jackson. It helped him stay healthy enough to crush lefties last year.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe. I think it's a good one- or two-year fix since the farm system is barren anyway.

Old teams don't tend to prosper these days though.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

Marlins at it again. Not a bad return. Brinson could wind up better than Yelich:

9. TheSportsPredictor

Brewers mean business:

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

These big markets are killing the game.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is the type of failure that happens when you don't have a pile on which to jump.

Funny how you had no such point to make when the Brewers stood pat at the deadline during last season and watched the team blow its lead in the NL Central and miss the playoffs.

A team looking to drastically cut payroll sold off league MVP for pennies on the dollar in terms of baseball talent, then traded its best remaining player for prospects. At least they got real value in this deal, but what the Marlins are doing this offseason clearly supports my view of MLB.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I assume this means either Braun or Santana will be traded. Braun makes more sense for the Brewers, but I keep seeing rumors of Santana being the one the will ship out for pitching help.

Draft saved Draft deleted