1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I'll be in Lexington, Ky., Saturday for the Bluegrass Stakes ... any suggestions for places to eat ?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hit the Atomic Cafe or Joe Bologna's. Joe B's is in an old church, best pizza in town. Great breadsticks too.

And if Robby Albarado's in the race, put down $5 to show on him for me. That's my boy.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Recommendations from my friend Landaluce, who'll be in the Keeneland press box with you:

Go to Buddy's, rright off of Tates Creek on the corner of Euclid. Cool, laid-back atmosphere, good food, reasonable prices, and one of the few places you might be able to get into on Bluegrass day without needing a reservation.

Malone's is great, but expensive and will definitely require reservations. Same with Natasha's.

And the only place she mentioned I've actually been: Cheapside, which is downtown.

Joseph Beth, a huge independent bookstore, has a good cafe. Oh, and there's a Coldstone Creamery too. ;D

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

DEFINITELY hit Joe Beth. Even if you don't eat a $14 muffin (outrageous prices). But just go, and walk around. Do it for me.

God, I miss Keeneland and Joe Beth.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

DOH, Joe Beth rules. You must go to Joe Beth. (But it's not independent -- five-store chain.)

Regatta Seafood Grille, a really kick-ass restaurant, is right next door, too (go downstairs through the area with the children's books and turn left after you pass through the register area). I watched the second round of the NCAA tournament at the bar (full-service with the full menu) there one Saturday night back in March.

It's at Lexington Green shopping center on the south side of town, at the New Circle Road exit to Nicholasville Road. Turning right out of the downstairs exit to Joseph Beth will take you to a Ruby Tuesday's.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I would vehemently disagree on Regatta. Overpriced for the quality. Ate there twice, both times the service was shoddy, the food was cold and not good. Sitting outside is nice though.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I can only go on my experience, which was at the bar. Hot food, served fast. And they serve Sam Adams. :D

8. MMSW

MMSW Guest

I was looking more for the Delaware and Maryland parts.

We ended up leaving obscenely early the other day and got to the Old Chickahominy House in Williamsburg before they switched to lunches. Best breakfasts in Virginia, no question.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My wife is finally graduating from college, and we're going on a cruise to celebrate. Anyone know of any place to go or not to go while in Cancun or Cozumel?

10. Huska

Huska Member

Don't wander off the beaten path in Cozumel.

11. Katbeat

Katbeat Member

I'm going to be in Hammond, La. for a few days in May. Any suggestions on where to eat? I have been before, but stayed in Baton Rouge and just drove to Hammond for the game.

Also, any good golf courses in the area?

PM me with suggestions.

Thanks

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think you need to pull off the road and shoot a muskrat.

Draft saved Draft deleted