1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Brittany Spears recomends the Hammond Applebee's :p

Seriously, there is a catfish place out in the country that is supposed to be great. It's just off I-55 south, the last exit before crossing Lake Ponchatrain.

2. Huska

Huska Member

I spent the night in Hammond not too long ago.

Ate at a great Cajun place near a strip mall by the interstate. I think it's called the Cajun Kitchen (sorry, I'm not much help).

It's a little hard-to-find joint where you order off a wall and sit in one of the restaurant's two or three tables. It's mostly carry-out. But the food is great.

You'll recognize the place if: The guy behind the register wears an LSU hat and can't stop talking football, the dialect is rich and the bread pudding is amazing.

3. rickschu

rickschu New Member

Yup. The place is called Middendorf's, and I highly recommend it. There's really no need to look at the menu. Just order the thin fried catfish and some hush puppies.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just ate a killer meal at Bastante's in St. Louis.

Take 44 West and exit at Hampton. Turn left off the highway. Turn right on Watson, and it's down the way. Two good bars across the street for anyone wanting a post-game.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Find a Super Smokers in the St. Louis area...great BBQ...they also serve in the center field pavilion at Busch Stadium before home games there.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't have the answer anymore, Nate, but I'm glad to see you understand the inherent problems.

There are parts of Miami you don't want to be caught dead in ... or you may be caught dead in them.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Anywhere near Miami Int'l or the Orange Bowl, yellow lights mean gun it. Do not stop, do not look at another person outside yor car. Nasty place.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Think I've mentioned this before, but I got lost in downtown Miami one weeknight a few years ago, driving from a minor-league game in Fort Lauderdale to my parents' home in Homestead.

I stopped at an A&P grocery store for directions ... and nobody spoke English. Nobody. Think about that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I still love Miami.

shot -- you asked for directions? Please turn in your testicles.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

At 10:45 p.m. in an especially dark section of Miami, my testicles were already somewhere in my esophagus, thank you. :-X

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tampa or Lakeland.

12. Hockeyscribe

Hockeyscribe Member

Not muskrats. Nutria.

Draft saved Draft deleted