1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

jim's is pretty good on south and third and down the block from that is steve's which is decent for cheesesteaks.

2. boots

boots New Member

I'd personally recomment Jims on 62nd Street betweeen Girard and Callowhill instead of the one downtown. Not so touristy.

3. Moving to San Francisco next summer

4. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Making a Texas road trip. Looking for Dallas and College Station suggestions

5. boots

boots New Member

Don't speed. The state boys in Texas are about as fast as the ones in Florida. Remember, you can't outrun a Motorola.

6. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Good advice. I actually have a Texas speding ticket in my collection. From the metropolis of Clyde no less. I have Georgia, Louisianna and Indiana too as I try to collect motor vehicle infractions from all 50 states.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm blanking on the bbq place i went to in college station -- good god, went there three days in a row, i can almost tlel you how to get there, but damn, i can't remember the name... ugh

went to doubel daves (pizza) a couple of times, but that was more for nestolgia than the food (as was whataburger, which kicks serious ass)

and the there's the tap to do your drinking at. jesus, texas rules for eye candy, i can tell you that. wow. and you've got to go to the dixie chicken just to say you've been there

8. DALLAS: Go to the ORIGINAL Sonny Bryan's barbecue on Inwood, near Parkland Hospital. Go there for lunch, and get there early. They close when they run out of meat.

Not only is the food great (especially the onion rings), but the setting is about as far from a chain restaurant as you possibly can get.

PHILADELPHIA: For a hoagie, go to Salumeria in the Reading Terminal Market. They make the best hoagie you will ever eat. Salumeria is a reason I will never set foot in a Subway (besides that wimp Jared).

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is that the place where the plop the meat and fixin's in your plate on butcher paper and give you a big knife and nothing else to eat with?

That was great.

10. boots

boots New Member

Nate, obviously you're just a tourist. Why on earth would you recommend Salumeria in Philadelphia for a hoagie? The spot in Dallas is also a tourist trap.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Heading to Philly tonight for a few days. Any suggestions on good restaurants and bars that won't be over run with tourists would be greatly appreciated. I realize there are few places that WON'T be over run given it's July 4th weekend.

If you're stopping in College Station, why? Seriously, if you want to soak up some local Aggie flavor, hit the Dixie Chicken. The real fun's in Austin however, which is about two hours west.

If you're driving from Dallas to College Station you'll probably go thru Waco. If you do take the time to visit the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. It's right on the Brazos River across the street from Baylor University. Also make time to have lunch/dinner at George's Bar and down a few frosty Big O's.

12. boots

boots New Member

armchair:
    I need specifics. Music, atmosphere, type of crowd, african American, Hispanic, white, asian... be as specific as you can and I'll try to steer you correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted