1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Right, Boots. I'm just a tourist. ::)

Salumeria was voted as the Best Hoagie by Philadelphia Magazine for many, many years. I'm recommending it because it's the best place, among many, I've had a hoagie.

The Sonny Bryan's that's a tourist trap is in the West End, not on Inwood. The locals go to Inwood. But I don't know that. I'm just a tourist.

2. boots

boots New Member

First off nate, you mention philly ragazine. That told me all I needed to know about you. YES, you are a tourist. You don't know the city. SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm going to be in Memphis from July 13-15.

As a music fan I am very interested in checking out Beale St., among other spots. Looking for suggestions on good joints - both for music and cold beer - and places to avoid.

Please post or PM.

4. rickschu

rickschu New Member

So, Boots, where do you go for a good hoagie in Philly?

And as far as Dallas goes, here are three favorites:
    --Cuba Libre (Henderson/75): Great Cuban/Spanish food.
    --Sevy's Grill (Preston/NW Hwy): Terrific menu, a little expensive.
    --Breadwinner's (Hall/McKinney): Known for their breakfasts, but lunch and dinner

For BBQ, the Sonny Bryan's on Inwood isn't bad (and certainly not the tourist trap that the location, or any other restaurant is, in the West End), though I prefer Peggy Sue by SMU
    And for Mexican/Salvadoran, can't go wrong with Gloria's (multiple locations) or Monica's Aca y Alla in Deep Ellum.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Hey all, thanks for the tips on Philly. Had a GREAT time with my friend, and ended up at Geno's at 1 in the morning, wolfing down cheesesteaks and fries.

Goddamn.

Check out the Bank. Great stadium, and there's a good view from everywhere of the field. We sat out in left field (how apropos), while my younger brother snagged a seat in Ashburn Alley. Only disclaimer - beware of the post-game exit. It takes about as long to get out of the Bank as it does to watch a Phillies game.

Other than that, many good times were had this weekend. Props to all the folks in the know about Philly. ;)

6. boots

boots New Member

RIC, FYI:
    Best hoagies right now by far in Philly can be found at 56th and Market Street at the Fresh Grocer Market. They pile enough meat to make TWO hoagies and the price at $5.69 is virtually unbeatable. Always a line to get a grub there. have fun

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Any BALTIMORE restaurant(s) and/or bar(s) suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not quite related, but has anyone ever been to Callaway Gardens?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Threw back a beer or 30 at McGillins while I was in Philly. Supposedly the place has been around since 1860.

The ballpark was pretty nice but it's not near anything but the other Philly stadiums. Hard to believe they played a Final Four at the Spectrum. Place is looking a little ratty on the outside.

10. boots

boots New Member

Hockey, I'm trying to get the name of this spot for good beer and crab cakes. It's within walking distance of Camden Yards. There's also another good spot by the aquarium.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Inside is worse, and it's been 4 years since I was in it.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Played golf at this cool links course while I was there too.

Draft saved Draft deleted