1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. MMSW

MMSW Guest

Both of them are tourist traps. If u don't want him looking like a tourist, don't send him to one of those places.

You can find good italian on any block. Try Patsy's over by Carnegie Hall. Sylvia's is fine, but it's overrated.

Best place in New York is Norma's in the Parker Meridien, which serves breakfast only (into the afternoon). A great experience.

Seriously, though, if you don't want to look like a tourist, don't eat in Times Square.

2. MMSW

MMSW Guest

The MMSWs are hitting the road. Can anyone suggest a place to stay in Savannah, Ga. (Mrs. MMSW would like to be in the historic district.) And can anyone suggest diversions or restaurants in that area? We'll be in the area for a week, most of it in Hilton Head.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

MMSW:

Many hotels in that area, but it's been a while since I've stayed in one so I can't recommend any. They WILL be expensive. I know there's a Holiday Inn though. But leave time at night for the Riverwalk area--nice bars and good music. Have fun--Savannah's a great town!

4. boots

boots New Member

Since you didn't like our choice for Sylvia's or Carmine's. While in Savannah I recommend the one spot where you'll be welcomed with open arms.
    The YMCA!

5. MMSW

MMSW Guest

Boots, give me a break, you told the guy to not look like a tourist and then sent him to two tourist traps.

6. boots

boots New Member

I beg to differ. The eats in both are good. Carmine's location give it a tourist trend. Sylvia's, when bus loads of white people aren't invading Harlem, is really cool. But that's my opinion. Yours is different, OK?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just a heads up for those driving on I-95 through the Washington/Baltimore area. If you're driving just to pass through, I'd detour my ass around DC since they're talking 15 mile backups and 90 minute delays while they do construction on the Wilson Bridge. Might want to look at finding yourself on Route 301 which kind of parallels 95 from the area down to just north of Richmond. You run into a boatload of lights, but it may be faster than sitting on the beltway. Possible detours include, from the beltway taking Route 50 east and getting off in Bowie on Route 301 south. You'll be 90 minutes or so from getting near Richmond. If you exit from Baltimore, take the 895 Harbor Tunnel instead of the McHenry Tunnel. Then exit on 97 going south, and then get off on Route 3 because about 10 miles down the line that becomes 301.

8. boots

boots New Member

I know the route well and that's great advice.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The very best place to eat in Savannah was out on Wilmington Island, called Williams Family Seafood. Best low-country boil I've ever had. Naturally the place burned to the ground a few months ago. :'(

The Pirate House is a touristy place, but has a terrific Sunday buffet (combo brunch and high-end Southern cooking). Just be sure to make reservations or arrive early (and be prepared to put up with undeserved snobbery from a certain hostess with a likely-fake British accent.)

The Breakfast Club out on Tybee Island is great fun, but I wouldn't make a special trip out there just for that.

Johnny Harris Barbeque is pretty good and close to the Sand Gnats' stadium.

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

If you are rolling through Dallas, then Campisi's Egyptian Restaurant is the place you need to visit. It is off I-75 and Mockingbird ln. near SMU.... It is the former hangout for Dallas mafia, with secret entrances and rooms... Old man Campisi's granddaughter was in playboy and the pizza is the best in Texas.... It has great atmosphere, but if you are going there on Friday or Saturday night, go early or be prepared to wait....

It is also the place MLB umpire Steve Palermo was shot outside of, chasing down a thug that had just robbed a waitress inside....

11. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Richmond, Va. anyone?

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My favorite place closed a few years ago, a soul food restaurant in Church Hill called Southern Sugar & Spice. There's a restaurant across the street from the Omni Hotel in Shockoe Slip -- Tobacco Company -- that will give you a second helping of prime rib if you ask for it. I went for it.

http://www.thetobaccocompany.com/

We just had dessert here a couple years ago and it was excellent. I'd probably try the dinner next time:

http://www.lagrottaristorante.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted