1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Good call on Campisi's, Sportsruss. The pies are different there than anyplace I've ever eaten pizza: oval with flat, thin crust and spicy sauce. There's another place in the 'burbs called I Fratelli that serves the same kind of pizza, but I like Campisi's because it's a fun place to hang out and drink. It's, what, three blocks from SMU?

Dallas doesn't have many institutions like that. An AWESOME Mexican place is Matt's Rancho Martinez, which is down the street from the Lakewood Theater. There's a place in the West End called the YO Ranch that serves excellent chicken-fried. I'm sure boots will rip my recommendations because he thinks they're for tourists, yuk, yuk.

2. boots

boots New Member

Naw I ain't gonna rip those selections. They're pretty good....for Dallas.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Also by the Lakewood Theatre in Dallas is a bar called The Balcony Club. One of my favorite bars in the world. Has piano music on the weekends, but get there early. Drinks are nice and strong. Good place to take a date.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

For the first time ever, I went to Birmingham and never made it to Dreamland.

I go sit in corner, feel shame.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Anybody got any tips on Hartford, Conn.? I'm staying at the Sheraton in East Hartford (under the name Goofy), but that's pretty much right across the way from downtown. Any recommendations?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't Dreamland about an hour from Birmingham?

If you went to Tuscaloosa and skipped it, I think a timeout would be warranted.

But Birmingham? -- Give yourself a pass this one time.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Nope, they have a bunch in Alabama. There is one 4 blocks from where I stayed in Birmingham, I've been there before.
    I am going to timeout now.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

There is a yuppie area in downtown, microbreweries, etc. Not much else.

9. MMSW

MMSW Guest

In Hartford, check out Black Eyed Sally's. Good barbecue and good blues.

10. ophirgopher

ophirgopher New Member

Also in Dallas, try Louie's on Henderson (Take Henderson at the Knox/Henderson exit off Central Expressway)
    Pizza is pretty good, if you like a thin crust.
    Atmosphere is better. Good place to hook up with Dallas tv and newspaper folks.
    Friendly, neighborhood bar.

Campisi's pizza is more rectangular than oval. And it's cut in strips. As mentioned above, it's different and good.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Walked by there last night. Ended up eating at the City Steam Brewery. Love me a Naughty Nurse and a Czars and Girls Brew. Russian Stout. Mmmmmmmm.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

right, but those aren't as good as the one in tuscaloosa... they've got sides and yuppie shit like that... t-town, there's ribs, white bread and sauce

that said, if you're in t-town, archibald's is better than dreamland (get a half-and-half plate)

Draft saved Draft deleted