1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Here are some of my favorite spots from various road trips:

NYC: Peter Luger Steakhouse
    Dallas: Bob's Steakhouse
    Seattle: I have been to a few places, but found a sushi place called Shiro's that has been consistently excellent. It's small and kind of a hidden treasure but you won't be disappointed. Try the sweet crab roll.
    San Francisco: I still like the Crab House even though it's a bit of a tourist spot and it's right on the wharf. The view is great and the garlic fries are awesome.
    Indianapolis: I have spent ridiculous amounts of times here for games or the combine and I have given St. Elmo's a try twice. I just can't get into it. I would rather have Shula's (located in the Westin) or Ruth's Chris for a steak. Or just head to Rock Bottom Brewery (which is a chain, but a good chain) for appetizers and brew.
    San Diego: Old Town Mexican Cafe - Usually all Mexican is the same to me, but this place is fantastic. They make the tortillas right there in front of you and the carnitas are amazing. I have never had better Mexican.

I have yet to find a place in Phoenix that I really like and the same with Atlanta.

Any suggestions for Minneapolis or Houston out there?

2. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

There's a great small Jewish deli chain called Chompy's. They have huge sandwiches and are not overprices. The last I checked, they had 'em in north Phoenix, Scottsdade and Tempe.
    There's also a great steak place in Tempe called Monti's.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Try Durant's downtown on Central Ave. I like the prime rib, and the blue cheese dressing is the best I've had:

http://www.durantsfinefoods.com/

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That menu looked pretty damned good. Unfortunately, when I'm in Phoenix, it's usually with my son for our annual spring training trip. I think it would be lost on him. Certainly the Davidoff cigar menu would be.

5. Testudo

Testudo Guest

Charleston, SC???

I am attending a wedding there shortly.

6. Sick Boy

Sick Boy Guest

Charleston is great. I'd move there in a second if given the opportunity. Plenty of good food around, as well as places to enjoy a cocktail.

You might also get a group together and take a walking tour, if you're into that sort of thing. I did this one with some friends and really had a good time: http://www.onthemarkettours.com/default.htm

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I loved this place:

http://www.grill225.com/index1.cfm?page=rightpage&id=182

The crab cocktail was terrific.

Other places we've enjoyed were Magnolia and The Boathouse (both city and suburb).

The real highlight last time we visited, however, was a nothing-fancy place called Gullah in Mt. Pleasant, a suburb between Charleston and Isle of Palms. We went on a Saturday, and the all-you-want buffet included some of the best fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and bread pudding I've ever had. The dining room had plywood floors.

We loved staying at the Vendue Inn on East Bay, but it isn't cheap. We also had a great time at the Holiday Inn on the beach at Folly Beach -- room was much nicer than we expected.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good stuff on Charleston. I've got a game there in early November, so I'll definitely try the East Bay Crab Shack. I love me some seafood.

How about Charlotte, N.C.? I'm just looking for something decent that's not break the break pricey ($25-35 for me) and that's not a chain. I'm staying downtown at the Westin.

9. Needles

Needles Member

Hokie, I was just in Charlotte for last week's Panthers-Packers game. There are a handful of restaurants near your hotel that are very good. The Westin is right where you want to be, within walking distance of all the great Charlotte spots. The Rock Bottom is very good; I had the shrimp and grits last time I was there. Sounds like you and I both head to the seafood sections first. There's another pretty good restaurant on the opposite corner of the Rock Bottom, but I can't remember its name. You can stand on that corner and take your pick of a lot of good places, though.

Charlotte is a very cool city, much cleaner than most cities that size. It's fun to walk around in the evening; it's surprisingly calm during weeknights and has a pretty neat vibe all around. Let me know what you wind up doing. I find myself there quite often and am always looking for new things to get into.

needles

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm going to Emerald Isle, NC for a week with two friends and am looking for any ideas, either right there or for day trips.

Gracias.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stay away from any place which has a Girls Gone Wild truck parked out front.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

away?

Draft saved Draft deleted