1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Five Points is a pretty cool neighborhood -- close to downtown and campus. Five Points Music Hall has pretty good acts (I saw the Cranberries and Joe Walsh there, but not on the same night), while Bellbottoms (I think that's the name) is a good retro joint. The Barking Kudu is also a fairly nice place.

Try the 22nd Street Jazz Club on, well, 22nd Street near Five Points.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you got some hot gardner-webb bulldog action going down, hokie? needles was off a state, but pretty close

(and you can keep your taco-flavored kiss)

3. Needles

Needles Member

There actually is a Boiling Springs, S.C. I think there's actually a monument of some kind. You can look it up. (/apparently begging for taco-flavored kiss)

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Ever been to Dave's. I think it's caddycorner from Bellbottom's. A good change of pace from the other dance/loud music joints there. Also, Johnny Rockets was damn good food at 3:30 a.m.

Gosh I miss Birmingham.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding.

Since there's a Boiling Springs, S.C., and a Boiling Springs, Pa., as well, I guess there's three taco-flavored kisses to hand out. *belch*

But N.C. will always have Cullowhee!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyone been to a Texas Steakhouse (like Texas Roadhouse but less crowded)?

Stopped at one recently that had 99 cent draft beer all the time -- Sam Adams, Newcastle, etc. Not just Bud and Coors.

I thought they screwed up the bill.

7. Had the opportunity to take in Dreamland in Tuscaloosa this summer. Thinking about making the 5-hours drive again sometime just for more.
    But make sure you go to the original Dreamland, absolutely worth the trip, and don't worry about what to order, that will definitely not be a problem.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you are in Birmingham and in the mood for a blow-the-budget meal, head for the Bright Star in downtown Bessemer (ask directions first). Pay whatever they're asking that day for the Greek-style beef tenderloins and enjoy meat so tender and flavorful it dissolves on your tounge. Repeat as needed with the seafood, which is also excellent.

For barbeque, everyone has their own favorite. Mine is Bob Sykes, also in Bessemer (this time on U.S. 11).

Southern cooking/soul food: Nikki's West on Finley Ave., a few block west of I-65.

For fast food, find a Milo's. Awesome burgers with special (basically bbq) sauce on greasy toasted buns. I don't drink sweet tea, but their's is supposed to be excellent (and is sold in local grocery stores). Skip the fries.

9. Needles

Needles Member

Great suggestions, Dixiehack. It's a good thing I'm not a vegaterian, though. That beef tenderloin sounds pretty damn good. I hope Bessemer isn't too far down the pike. Thanks again.

needles

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

About 12 miles southwest of downtown B'ham. And secure reliable directions on the ground, as most of Bessemer is not what you'd call tourist friendly.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the only thing i like at milo's is the sweet tea..

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Finley Avenue? Bessemer? You'd better take a gun. Not tourist friendly doesn't describe some of those areas.

But he's right. Bob Sykes and Nikki's West are great.  And Milo's. The tea is great. Mrs three_bags' mom brings a gallon to the casa each time she comes to visit and keeps it stocked at her own abode.

Dixie,
    Is that restaurant in the mountain still open? I went there when I was a kid. I think it was called Baby Does. It was in a mineshaft. It was pretty fancy and held a great view of the Birmingham skyline at night. Beautiful town.

Draft saved Draft deleted