1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. how can you say that??? they played Carnegie-Mellon down to the wire ;D

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

you're right. if CM wins the D3 title they can look back fondly, like
    those games where they took UCLA and Arkansas down to the wire in the NCAA Tournament.

3. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Much more expensive than a good deli should be, but pretty good for a town with little-to-no ethnicity and few choice if you want a good corn beef.

May I add Rooster's (many locations) for the best wings in town.

Oh, and the art museum has Renior's women through Sunday.

4. donnie23

donnie23 Member

No joke. They must have gotten a smokin' deal to go sweat their balls off in Mesquite in August. Expect at least 105 and more likely 115.

As for Mesquite ... yikes, not much going on. As said, Vegas is about an hour(-plus) away. A little farther north is St. George, Utah, with a couple of decent golf courses, and even a little farther north is the Bryce Canyon/Zion National Monument area. Absolutely worth the drive if the wife is stuck in a retreat all day. Plus, it's significantly cooler.

5. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

I know we've got quite a few SEC folks here. Any recommendations in Auburn, Ala.?

6. Needles

Needles Member

There's not a lot going on in Auburn. But up the road a piece in Columbus, Ga., it is surprisingly entertaining. There are many bars for all tastes and some pretty decent restaurants. I didn't get a chance to see much of Auburn, but if you want a good time at about 30 minutes up the highway, you'll be able to share in my joy of educating others about Columbus.

needles

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

As it turns out, I misunderstood. She's going to Mesquite in April; there are certain rules (perhaps due to campaign finance reform, though I'm not sure) that prohibit her from traveling so close to the election - her boss is up in November.

So, I won't be going to Mesquite. But I do have another place...

Going to Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho in September for her brother's wedding. Any advice for that place?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Downtown Auburn is actually a nice place with lots of indy and small-chain eateries. Cheeburger Cheeburger had one of its first locations here and is a good bet. There's a place out towards Opelika called Tiger Time, which is basically Waffle House with higher quality breakfast food, in case you get dead-of-night munchies. If you are there during the day, you can go by Toomer's Drugstore in downtown at the entrance to campus for lemonade (look for the tree full of toilet paper out front).

Oh, and give 'em a big Roll Tide wherever you go. I'm sure the service will be delightful. ;D

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Headed to Phoenix for spring training in March. Saw a couple suggestions earlier for Durants and Chompie's, I believe it was. Anybody got any other ideas for some good eats in or around town? What about the Glendale area?

10. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

you can shoot a cannon down the street in phoenix after 10 p.m. and not injure a single person.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Head to Honey Bear's on Van Buren near the 202 for some pretty good barbecue.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

And don't forget the Supper Club. The shot bus is a must-see attraction.

Draft saved Draft deleted