1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

In Nashville, Tenn., for the men's SEC basketball tourney March 8-March 12. Any good eats within walking distance of the Gaylord Entertainment Center/Demonbreun Street area? I ate at Eddie George's restaurant/bar last year. It was ho-hum.

I'd rather not have to drive around town at that crazy time of year.

I'm looking for restaurants, not bars. Non-drinker (diabetic).

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Picadilly Cafeteria is real popular with the locals.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And everything old is new again.

4. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Going to Indianapolis to cover the Big Ten men's basketball tournament next week ... any advice on good places to eat/stuff to do would be much appreciated. I've never even been to Indiana before.

Thanks guys.

5. Hi, Hunt:

If you don't have to worry about expenses, try Dunaway's, a steak house on East Street. I've been to St. Elmo's and Dunaway's, and Dunaway's is better. It's in a nice neighborhood. The decor is like an old speakeasy. Order the shrimp cocktail, but be warned: those big white chunks in the sauce are horseradish. It's delicious, as long as you eat it in moderation.

6. boots

boots New Member

You find plenty of good eats in Indy.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

way to help out boots, solid contribution...

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

This is a two-parter.

1. Mrs Miler is going to Houston for her meat book--she's a carnoscribe after a fashion. Any recommendations where she can get some well-cooked meat, the preferred steakhouse, maybe some novel street grunt, something with local colour?

2. On the same note, Mrs M is heading to Alaska--don't ask, but it's not for dog-sledding. Is there some place in Anchorage that serves up anything special meat-wise?

YHS, etc

9. Hockeyscribe

Hockeyscribe Member

Jack's turned out to be a good barbeque joint on Broadway near the arena

http://www.worldatmydoor.com/ftp/Jacks/index.html

Even if you don't drink, there's good food at the Big River Grille and Brewing Works further east on Broadway away from the arena. It's part of the Gordon Biersch chain.

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/restaurants/

In my travels, a pretty good rule of thumb is that all brewpubs have good food.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I hear incest is really popular over there as entertainment. But I'm an Illinois man, so I'm just going by what Uwe Blab's mama said one year in Champaign after we shagged her during our annual ass-stomping of the Hoosiers.

11. Needles

Needles Member

Miler: Not being sure of your wife's carnivorous preferences, I can only suggest some solid Anchorage seafood houses. Orso's and the Anchorage Brewhouse, which are nextdoor to each other (and, I think, owned by the same folks) are outstanding. So is Humpy's, although that is more of a bar in the evening hours. If Mrs. Miler likes halibut or king crab, she will be in heaven.

needles

12. Idaguy

Idaguy Guest

Me and four buddies are going to Oakland to watch the Yankees kick the crap out of the Athletics. We will be there three days and nights. Is there anywhere good to eat that we can get to by BART? We are staying right by the Coliseum and are also looking for some good places to drink.
    Idaguy

Draft saved Draft deleted