1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

agreed on that. the Coliseum is very BART friendly and unless you park inside the gate, you should be careful. the Coliseum area is pretty sketchy. I had a buddy get rolled at 7 a.m. waiting outside the BART station for an AirBART bus once. dude just walked up to him, nailed him in the face then grabbed his wallet and ran.

there are loads of bars but if you want to find a bunch of A's fans to drink with, try King's X on Piedmont in Oakland. not super BART accessible but not a long cab ride from Rockridge station.

there's also George and Walt's on College Ave, and the End Zone nearby and Eli's Mile High Club.

2. Idaguy

Idaguy Guest

I'm going to Odessa, Texas this weekend, is there any good bars I should know of going in?

3. Idaguy

Idaguy Guest

To answer my own question now that I am here, you should check out Graham Central Station which has five bars in one and is loaded with college girls.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't know why I haven't thought to add this nugget:

Yocona River Inn near Oxford, Miss. Take Hwy. 334 east (very curvy road, be careful) and it's on the left about 10 miles out. Take your own beverages -- and your wallet -- and be prepared to wait if you get there after 6:30. Wifey and I dropped 100 there last night. Well worth it if your in town.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I'm heading to Altoona this weekend. Anybody know of anything out there?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Altoona, PA?

If you have a day to kill, Pittsburgh is only 2 hours away.

7. Dukie

Dukie New Member

Going to be spending a month and a half in Baltimore from September 19th to October 30th, does anyone know of any cheap places to stay?

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Yes. And unfortunately, I won't have an entire day to kill; I'll only have the mornings and early afternoons.

Any tourist attractions or good museumns or historic sites nearby?

9. Turfburger

Turfburger Member

Mega kudos to the folks who recommended the Butcher Shop in Chula Vista, Calif. Wow ... Rib-Eye that covered the plate for less than $15 ... decor was like stepping into a scene from Good Fellas and the dude who owns the joint is a drop-dead, separated from birth Joe Pesci lookalike.

Food is phenomenal and wouldn't have known about the place without the Web site. Thanks.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Johnstown isn't too far away, I suppose you could see if they have a flood museum.

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I'm looking for any downtown area dining tips for St. Louis, while I'm in town for the Cardinals-Reds series at new Busch Stadium over Easter weekend. Past experience has taught me that if you're looking for late-night dining downtown, the options are very limited.

Staying at the Hyatt Regency at Union Station if that helps. And my wife and child are accompanying me on this trip.

Thanks in advance.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll piggy back Pencil Dick. (That didn't sound right!)

Any hot spots for eats or things to to with kids in St. Louis? Considering a trip there as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted