1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pshaw. Nobody south of Cullman even knows what the stuff is. (I didn't either until getting my first gig in North Alabama). It is truly a regional thing.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

RE: St. Louis

Mrs. Three_bags and I really enjoyed Bastante's on The Hill. Pricey, but worth it.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Day-tripping to Baltimore for a story. Suggestions?

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Don't.

5. ned racine

ned racine Member

for baltimore...if you like mussels....berthas mussels.....and the bumper sticker is great too

EAT BERTHAS MUSSELS

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My favorite restaurant I have ever been to, anywhere, is Tony's in St. Louis.

7. Stupid

Stupid Member

Dear god, this white sauce madness has spread to this place, too? It haunts me wherever I go on the internet.

OK, let's get this over with.

A state that puts either mustard (SC) or white sauce (AL) on its 'cue cannot be trusted. In so many ways, it's worse than just admitting that you've become a yankee.

8. three_bags_full

Without wading through 30+ pages of this:

Got a weekend trip to D.C. planned for mid-July, corresponding with a Cubs-Nats series.

I'm staying on a military installation near the river.

I'll arrive on Friday evening, catch the game and some sights around the Mall on Saturday -- the usual, first-time tourist stuff, but that's about all I know about D.C.

Gimme the low-down for a two-day trip (I know it ain't much time, but it's all I have). Where to eat, what to see, what to avoid.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Haven't been there recently, but I'd recommend the memorials, Washington's house and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

For eating -- I just haven't been there recently, but I think we went over to Alexandria and found some good eats. Plus, I hear KFC has this new bowl ...

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Avoid Georgetown. Overrated, and the only way to get there is either walk a while, drive (and then try and find a parking spot) or by cab. No metro service. Not worth it.

Good eats in town at the Ole Ebbitt Grill near the Whitehouse. There's the Chinatown area if you like that sort of cuisine. There's some good, but pricey places in the downtown area near K Street and within a few blocks.

Olde Town Alexandria has a lot too, though that's an area I'm not familiar with at all. I think Arlington, along Wilson Blvd and Clarendon Blvd. is really underrated. Lots of good restaurants and bars there, extremely easy to get to as well.

Assume if you're staying at a military base you'll be down in Quantico? Or is it that other Fort, which I drove past twice a day for years but can't seem to remember now that's close to DC?

11. three_bags_full

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm staying at Ft. McNair. Mostly historic, if I understand correctly. About 2 miles from the Capitol.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Okay, I've grown up there since I was in kiddygarten and I've never heard of that place. Must be realllllly small.

Everything in Arlington is easily accessible by the orange line, which runs parallel to Wilson Blvd. and Clarendon Blvd. The Clarendon area is really cool, and the area around there. The orange/blue line also runs right through the capitol.

Draft saved Draft deleted