1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm gonna be in Pittsburgh. Any advice on places to eat and drink?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i really enjoyed the andy warhol museum in pittsburgh (of course, that's not really a place to eat or drink, although the night i went it was an exhibition opening, so i did do both)

if you're not paying for it, a good place to eat is the common plea

for all the time i've spent in pittsburgh, haven't done too much drinking there. i say go to a party at duquesne and see what happens

3. markvid

markvid Guest

My house. I'll leave a key under the mat at the front door.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

In re Pittsburgh: If you get out to Shadyside/Point Breeze/Bloomfield, check out The Sharp Edge for microbrews, Bloomfield Bridge Tavern for authentic pierogies and Mariani's Pleasure Bar for a nightcap.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Wilkinsburg has some fine night life.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Are there any suggestions for Detroit? I was looking through here and didn't see any.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That gave me a chuckle.

I am, however, rather positive on receiving some good info on potential places to eat or bars. The Boston suggestions I received were pretty damn good.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I took some of the info folks dished out on D.C. and was pleased.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for Disney World?

I'll be there just before Christmas, and I'm trying to come up with suggestions my Mouse-happy friends haven't already heard. We bought some kind of park-hopper passes and are also going to Universal (or is it MGM?)

I wouldn't mind going off-site to eat, or check out local museums, etc.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

You could spend days at Disney World. Between Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, MGM and Animal Kingdom, you'll be too busy to eat much or visit museums. If you want to take it slow, they have two Rain Forest Cafes. One is in one of the parks, and the other is at Downtown Disney. If it's an all-adult group, they have Disney after Dark, or something like that. It's nothing but restaurants and night clubs, I believe.

If you would rather pack in as much as possible, you might want to grab a loaf of bread and some peanut butter to make sandwiches. That way you have the option of skipping lunch.

If you're okay with hitting a tourist area, there's always International Drive. It's packed full with places to dine and a few cheesy sites, such as a Guinness Book of World Records museum. I recommend a restaurant next to the Doubletree hotel. It's a castle-like building that sits just a block off I-Drive. The restaurant is called Vito's Chop House. Try the fried mozarella. If you need a hotel, the Doubletree is pretty cool. But you can stay closer to Disney as well.

If you have a day to burn, the best option is probably to drive over to the coast and hit the Kennedy Space Center. It's a full day of stuff. You can also hit the beach in Cocoa and grab a T-shirt or two from a giant Ron Jon shop.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Donald Duck and Goofy take off the vests and get jiggy with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted