1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Anyone have any downtown dining suggestions for Seattle? I've never visited the city before. We're staying at the Grand Hyatt downtown.

Also, what's the best/easiest mode of transportation from Sea-Tac to the downtown area? Cab fares are listed at between $30-$35 each way. What's the shuttle situation like?

Thanks

2. Summerteeth

Summerteeth New Member

I'll be in Austin next month and I'm looking for a decent, yet affordable hotel within walking (read: stumbling) distance of 6th street. Does such a place exist or would I be better off staying off the interstate and cabbing it?

What are the best dive bars and places to eat?

Cheers

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

For anyone going to Indianapolis for the AFC Title game and looking for a decent out-of-the-way bar, I just want to give an unsolicited recommendation for The Icehouse -- it's about a mile and a half south of the RCA Dome on West Street. Me and two friends went there for lunch over the summer and loved it. Good food, good atmosphere, enough TVs to always be able to watch no matter where you are sitting and pretty good beer specials. As my friend put it, "This is a bar that even if you come here alone, you won't end up drinking alone."

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Pope forgot to add that, for those girls looking for a good time, he suggests the guy in the corner who looks like a sportswriter.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll be headed to Lexington, Va., in April for an Army conference.

Anything there, other than VMI?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've never actually been to Lexington, just through it, but I've been told it's actually a nice little Southern town. Roanoke is the nearest decent-sized city, but that's like an hour away. Staunton is smaller but closer, and though I've never been, I've heard a lot of good things about Wright's Dairy Rite. http://www.dairy-rite.com/

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lexington's got a cool little downtown, some bars, mom and pop restaurants, good coffee shop with free wireless. The fast food places are all out by I-81, but if you've got some time, downtown Lexington's a neat place to explore.

8. three_bags_full

It's a four-day conference, so I should have some time to get into town.

Thanks.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Don't get a motel right on I-35; the traffic can be loud. I'd have to know about your tastes to recommend bars/restaurants...Austin has it all.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Summerteeth, there's an Extended Stay on Guadalupe (The Drag, in local parlance) at Sixth that can do some cheap rates. From there to the main thrust of Sixth is about a mile but it gives you time to get some of the alcohol out of your system.

11. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Spent Friday night in Annapolis and was reminded why it has always been one of my favorite road towns: Riordans has great beer, and the best baked oysters I have ever had. One of many great reasons to cover hoops at Navy, none of which this season have much to do with the Midshipmen themselves.

12. three_bags_full

Uncle Sugar keeps sending me places: Next up, before Lexington, Va., in April, is Tucson in mid-March.

Never been. Any suggestions?

MIGHT be able to swing a trip to Mesa for some Cubbies spring action on the weekend before, but my work schedule won't allow me to see a game at 3:05 that's 150 miles away.

Draft saved Draft deleted