1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Near Glacier National Park, outside of the town of Whitefish there's a growing ski resort that offers more than just skiing.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Eat at the Depot downtown. Awesome steaks. Awesome desserts. You won't be disappointed.

3. Thanks, Cosmo. We'll definitely hit the Depot. Any other tips on the city? I think you commented about Missoula earlier on this thread (sorry, I posted before going back and looking) and it seems like you know the town. Any advice is appreciated.

And EStreet, what do you mean? Are we talking about bars and nightlife? Or more like hookers and meth labs?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Missoula's got a nice downtown area ... some good drinking establishments and what not. Since I'm a bit of a drunk and was generally in town for only a day or two at most for a game, I know about those more than I know about theaters, museums, etc.

One of my favorite bars there was the Rhino, which had like 50 beers on tap. I also liked Stockmen's, but that was mostly to gander (and occasionally hit on) the UM eye candy.

Sportschick can probably help with this, too.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There's allegedly some nightlife in Whitefish, unfortunately our ski columnist in talking about the Big Mountain Ski Resort and the nearby town of Whitefish doesn't mention any specific places in Whitefish, except to say that it has a "great selection of restaurants, coffeehouses, galleries and saloons." He also praised the food at the nearby Kandahar Lodge in Big Mountain Village.

6. m2spts

m2spts Member

You need to drive the North Coast of California, into Oregon.
    Stay along U.S. 101, drive through the redwoods, then along the coast, with its beaches and rocks (big rocks), more redwoods, more beaches, etc.
    And, a Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer's when you hit Crescent City, Calif., and Brookings, Ore.
    What more could you want?

7. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

Headed to the Texas Motor Speedway next week... not working, actually scored suite tickets from a friend. So, having never travelled among the unwashed masses (no parking pass lol) to an event such as this, what am I in for traffic-wise? Me and the Mrs. will be staying in Dallas and making our way over. Any tips/tricks to navigating? Thanks!

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Leave early. Very early. Like 8 hours before the race on Sunday early.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Any suggestions for Montreal?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watch out for looters if Axl Rose cuts a GNR/Metallica show short.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I know I'm praaying for a miracle, but here goes ...

Jackson, Miss.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Because of work, I'll be traveling to lovely, bucolic Reston, VA early next week.

Rather than fly into Dulles, I'll have to fly to BWI and drive down. Don't ask.

Anyway, my hotel's Web site tells me about a few good chain places around it. But are there any good independent restaurants in the area?

Much thanks in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted