1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. I'd be happy.

Drive north on 55, get off at the county line road exit and take a right. Stop and ask someone for directions to Fratesi's. Easily one of the top 5 Italian restaurants at which I've eaten this side of Vicenza.

Hope I'm not too late.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're into. There's a pretty decent place called Artie's that's off Lee Highway in Fairfax. If you like exotic fare, try going to the big Vietnamese marketplace in Falls Church off Wilson Blvd. Outstanding food there.

3. Gonna be in Kansas City in a couple weeks. Looking for a golf course to play, probably on a Monday morning. I've never played anything in KC. Any ideas?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Here's the trip:

Day 1: Leave Mississippi heading north on I-55 to St. Louis. Hang a left. Head to Kansas City. Hang a right (north) toward Omaha.

Day 2: Continue north to South Dakota. Head west on I-90 across S.D., into Wyoming.

Day 3: Continue across a large portion of Monanta, a little of Idaho and into the Seattle/Tacoma area.

I'll be in Tacoma (read: Ft. Lewis) for about two months.

Question No. 1: Can I make that drive in three days?

Question No. 2: If I can't make the drive in three, what should I stop and do along the way?

Question No. 3: If I can make the drive in three days, what should I (with my wife, who flies back home a day later) with Mrs. tbf for that ONE day in Seattle?

Question No. 4: Gimme some must-sees while I'm there for two months.

5. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Any New Orleans bachelor party suggestions. You know, the usual, um, bachelor party activities. And has anyone played poker at the Harrah's there?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haven't played poker at Harrah's New Orleans, but did have one very good night on their craps tables during a bachelor party. Which was a good thing because we had to pool all that money to bail one of the guys out two days later. True story.

7. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I have played poker at Harrah's and it was fantastic. Enjoyed every second of it. But it tends to be very busy... one time so busy the list was so long they weren't even adding people!

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I stayed at Harrah's, but I didn't spend much time in the place. There wasn't anything about it that snagged my particular attention, but I might have been missing something. I believe the MGM Grand is directly across the street. I spent equal time gambling in those two and a slightly more time over at the Bellagio. The visit to the Bellagio, though, was for a party held there.

9. azom

azom Member

Need honeymoon suggestions....

We're driving from L.A. to San Francisco. We'll be spending a day or so in each city and like three days between the two....

On the list: Getty Museum in L.A.; Hearst Castle; Monterey Bay aquarium; Golden Gate Bridge.... Any more suggestions?

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The suggestions will depend on how much money you want to spend. But you will certainly want to drive Highway 1 through Big Sur. Santa Barbara County's wine country is great. You will want to stop in Santa Barbara at least for the day. Have a shake at Crystal Cove Beach between Newport and Laguna.

For kitsch at its finest, reserve the Caveman room at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. And remember: no honeymoon is complete without a visit to the Madonna Inn men's room.

11. You cannot go to a museum or an aquarium on your honeymoon. I prohibit both of them.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What is the museum is the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown? :D
    (one of my co-workers went there for his honeymoon)

Draft saved Draft deleted