1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One dinner. Four journalists. And you. Whom do you choose?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Oct 11, 2007.

1. manny mota

manny mota New Member

Jon Gold....and I'd make him pay!

2. 1. Mike Royko --- one of the greatest ever even though he was a Cubbie.

2. Lewis Grizzard --- Unparalleled talent at the art of writing humor.

3. Rick Reilly --- Read him weekly. He's the best in the business today.

4. Paris Hilton --- She authored "Confessions of an Heiress" so she qualifies in my book. She's sexy as hell and worth a seat at my dinner table anytime.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

An author is not a journalist. Didn't you see the thread title?

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

If Paris Hilton qualifies, Huck, I'll take Traci Lords. She wrote the book on a lot of things.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ghastly table manners.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Dick Young, Len Shecter, Joe Falls, BYH.

7. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Raoul Duke gets to come if he brings something "interesting" for "dessert."

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

My picks:

David Muir from ABC News (in my opinion, the best journalist, sports or not even though he has covered sports stories for ABC News programs. Yes, he's broadcast, but this guy is amazing. Started off as a 12 year old intern at a news station and has put in over 20 years in the business. Seen it all and has won many accolades for his work....considering he is only in his early 30's. Can you believe he scored two Emmy nods for news? Incredible!)

Paul Wells from MacLeans: Covers Parliament Hill for the publication but is one amazing storyteller and writer.

Steven Brunt from Globe and Mail: Best Sports Columnist out there, and he is Canadian.

Bob McCown from Fan590: Yes, another boradcaster, but he is the best in the business and he always calls it like it is but is entertaining as they come.

Okay, I know that I am not supposed to have more than four, but I believe in inviting 14 guests (I am superstituous).

Sandie Rinaldo from CTV News: she broke many barriers for women broadcasters in the early 1980's. Would like to hear about her experiences (Another broadcaster)

Katherine Humphreys: This sports broadcaster out of Toronto also broke barriers for women and sports reporting in my opinion in Canada. Her knowledge of the Leafs and hockey impresses me. Again, would like to hear about her experiences.

Greg Sansone and Steve Kouleas from the Score: these guys are broadcast too but were at the Score in the year that the station started (Greg started a few months before Steve). These guys are great sports broadcast journalists but also entertaining as hell. They would be the life of the party with McCown. To the Point and the Spine are my favourite sports programs and they are must see programs.

Ron MacLean from CBC Sports: He seems like a down to earth guy and really is passionate about hockey and amateur sports.

Bruce Rainnie from CBC Sports: A local guy who has achieved success nationally. He has worked so hard and it would be great to learn a lot from him.

Glenn Schiiler from Score: You need a good looking guy at the table who also has smarts and loves music. We could talk about music for hours.

Michael Landsberg from Off the Record TSN: From his days at SportsDesk, SportsCentre with Brendan Connor to his current gig, Landsberg is one of my favourites and he never lacks of opinion and performance on his show.

Bill Hemmer from Fox News: Bill started in sports but then spent his own money and went to places like India and filmed his own documentaries. Former CNN guy, his reporting during the War in Iraq and the Pope's death were brilliant pieces of work. Like Muir, he has experienced a lot in his career.
    Finally,

Gord Stellick: This guy is a riot on the FAN's morning show, but he was also a former NHL GM and his experiences would be great to hear about. Along with McCown, my favourite "FAN" personality.

While the majority of my guests are broadcast, they are my picks.

9. CSC -
    You've got to have a dining room table the size of Winnipeg.

10. Cansportschick

Fenian, it is actually a lot larger than Winnipeg and that is not an exaggeration.

11. I thought this gig was limited to four, not 40.

12. Cansportschick

Huck, I am superstituous, so including me, 15 has to be my dinner number. It's not 40.

Draft saved Draft deleted