1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Op-Ed Sections, Threat or Menace?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jun 4, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really, I half-expect the NYT to have a position open soon for HR Rep/investigative reporter focused squarely on newsroom issues.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hurt to bring back the Public Editor to address it.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All of whom were raised and educated by Kahn's generation.

Where did he go wrong?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m not sure he did in any extraordinary way. Phones and social media are extraordinary cultural disruptions and silo makers.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

With many coddling their kids and helicopter parenting up the wazoo.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And then Joe Biden forgave all of their college debt. That’ll teach ‘em.

Unless they’re wealthy, the kids of non-helicopter parents often lose to the kids of helicopter parents whose coddling creates strong resumes and perfect grades. If helicoptering didn’t produce meritocratic results, it wouldn’t happen.

The matter lies more with the institutions that repeatedly reward that behavior.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Those "institutions" are us.

The culture is us.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

I was countering the idea that parents are largely to blame. They’re somewhat to blame. But our institutions encourage helicopter, coddling parenting. Unless they are rich, parents who let children learn lessons the hard way choose a riskier path. Your child suddenly likes baseball at 13 and wants to play? Too late - you should have forced it on them at 8. Ditto with many (not all but many) extracurricular activities.

Prefer a free range approach that doesn’t persistently structure play time? Good luck with that; many parents recoil from that. Want a kid to be emotionally resilient and able to roll with punches? Today’s neurotic institutions respond (and possibly prefer) to tantrums and selfish behavior.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I would push back on the theory that kids with helicopter parents usually or always beat kids that dont have helicopter parents. When the economic and opportunity factors are close to even, I dont think that’s accurate.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They’re often not even. Lower and lower middle class parents don’t have nearly as much time to helicopter as do upper middle class and upper class parents. Helicoptering is an elitist pursuit.

At any rate, again, Biden wants to wipe out the debt of the coddled kid generation so they’ll vote for him. Maybe he’ll mail a ribbon to each one, too.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Agreed on the debt.

The advancement of the coddled isnt about the helicoptering. More often than its all the other stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted