1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Op-Ed Sections, Threat or Menace?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are the kids with a huge college debt load usually the ones from the upper or upper-middle class households?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

https://educationdata.org/student-loan-debt-by-income-level

• Households in the highest income quartile (76th percentile and higher) owe 26% of student loan debt.
    • Households with income in the 51st to 75th percentile hold 32% of student loan debt.
    • 20th to 40th percentile households owe 22% of all outstanding student debt.
    • The lowest income quartile (25th percentile and lower) owes 5% of all student loan debt.
    • Households between the 5th and 20th percentile hold 14% of all student debt.

Azrael likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I dove into the Op-Ed Bank of Lefty this week and published a column critical of Putin and Russia. So far, so good.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think this indicates the household income after the loans have been made.

Having gone to graduate school for years, the highest earners - doctors, lawyers, etc. - would by definition also bear the highest loan amounts.

I'm asking for the economic status of the households at the time the loans are first applied for.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Most people in that lowest quartile can go to school for a small, small rate; otherwise, colleges already know their parents (such to the degree their parents are in the picture) wouldn't take out massive loans otherwise.

But that's the data I found.

My sense is, many lower-to-middle class Americans who start college don't finish because it's clear, once you get to four-year college, that college - for Americans anyhow - is mostly a place where upper-middle-class/upper-class kids go to hang out, party, spend money, snag a 3.2 while learning a little about business or history or English, and stumble out the other side needing more money from their parents, or someone, to buy all the stuff they're supposed to own upon finishing college.

The party/money thing is evident quickly, and an intriguing place where it emerges - here's Christian culture again - can be found in the on-campus Christian ministries that work the dorm rooms on those weekends in the fall months, talking to kids who either didn't know anybody at their college, aren't skilled at the social aspect (which includes getting fake IDs, having a car and general comfort with alcohol) or lack the funds to keep up a pretty consistent social calendar. The campus ministries get students in their ministries on the sheer offer from friendship and stuff to do. (And then 4/5 years later send them out the other side into regular churches, which can often bear a resemblance to entering college.)

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Looks like someone got delayed at the airport.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted