1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Three guys I don't understand why no one is pursuing:

Pedro Martinez
    Jermaine Dye
    Joe Crede

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Joba of 3 years ago I would be excited about. The Joba of today - No. He has become a bloated whale that can't find the plate.

Clearly either the famed "Joba Rules" screwed him up or advanced testing. He has lost 4- 5 MPH on his fast ball. He used to be at 98MPH consistently-- not any more.

His body language and demeanor on mound are of a pitcher that is either injured or lost his confidence.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

A_QB, after watching the Slowey/Blackburn/Baker show I'm used to meltdowns.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Then he'll be a good fit.

But you have to take Ryan Theriot too.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Martinez, good as he was down the stretch last year, still has question marks about how much he has left in the tank. He hit the wall hard in the World Series last year (right around two months after he came back, right about the time he used to break down and take summer vacation when he started a season on time). Might still be a nice six-week rental for a contender, though.

Last I heard, Dye's contract demands were outrageous. He could help somebody at a reasonable price, but his price is far from reasonable.

Crede, I have no idea about.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

We Mets fans are willing to unload Ollie Perez's and Luis Castillo's bad contracts for the psycho Carlos Zambrano. It's an economic wash thru next season (Z's guaranteed $19 M in 2012 could be a problem) and Zambrano can't be worse than Ollie -- crazier, maybe, but not a worse pitcher.

Pedro's agent, meanwhile, has said he won't pitch in the majors this year but will try to make a comeback next year.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Sure. What the hell, why not.

The Twins may have a need for an infielder. Play the clip:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100728&content_id=12719540&notebook_id=12733688&vkey=notebook_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The D'Backs traded Edwin Jackson to the White Sox for Daniel Hudson and David Holmberg.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's kind of a puzzler isn't it?

And isn't Hudson their top pitching prospect?

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That IS a head-scratcher. Hudson has a lot of upside, and looked awfully good against the mighty Mariners, but maybe the Sox think Jackson helps more this year.

Too bad he threw about 150 pitches earlier this year in his no-hitter! Manager should have pulled him! ;D

Oh, and then there's this: Chicago may only want Jackson as a bargaining chip for Adam Dunn:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/2010-07-30/white-sox-acquire-edwin-jackson-from-d-backs

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah it sure seems as if crazy Kenny Williams is up to something a lot bigger than this.

God bless that guy. While everyone else is content to wait out teams w/elite talent until it can pillage them, Williams actually gives up decent talent to get the guys he wants w/o dickering.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is kinda strange.

Draft saved Draft deleted