1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Rangers keep spending other people's money -- trade for Cristian Guzman.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Joel Sherman Tweeting the Yankees are close to acquring Lance Berkman. Let the caterwauling commence.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let's see if they actually have to give up something of value for him. My guess is they just take on the contract, which is all the Astros want so they can clear a spot for the newly-acquired Brett Wallace to play.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Huh.

I moved to Houston on what was opening day of the 2000 season.

Never became an Astros fan, but really liked watching Berkman. It's hard to believe it's been ten year & we're now talking about a 34 year old.

He doesn't fill any great need, and he's not the hitter he was, so I hope the Yankees don't give up a lot for him.

It'll really be a sad day for Houston fans. Oswalt & Berkman were real fan favorites. Berkman is from Texas & went to Rice.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Supposedly he DOESN'T want a team to pick up his option for 2011. So for a true rental, yeah, I don't expect the Yankees to give up much. He's 34 (like YankeeFan, I find that hard to believe) and is clearly in decline, so who knows if he'll even find a job next year. Trading an aging veteran with an expiring contract in exchange for peanuts to give him one more title shot is pretty timeless stuff, regardless of the team acquiring him.

6. outofplace

Yet the list of teams willing to take on the remaining money on his deal is kinda short, huh?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Apprently it's in place

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5424350

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

If a team wanted him enough, it would find the room. Look at the Rangers. I'm pretty sure I just loaned them the money to pay Cantu's salary.

Maybe the Yankees are the only ones grabbing Berkman b/c it's a panic move. Regardless of what he is owed the rest of the way, it's hard to imagine anyone lining up to pay a guy who is 34 and on pace for career lows in BA, OBP and SLG.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Adam Dunn was reportedly pulled early from Washington's game with the Phillies.

Catch a plane to Chicago, sir!

10. outofplace

BYH, Cantu doesn't make nearly as much as Berkman. Not exactly a fair comparison. Berkman is a risk, one that costs a good-sized chunk of change. Exactly the kind of guy the Yankees can afford to buy that most teams can't.

(No, I don't mean they can't find the money. I mean they can't afford to find it and then have him not pay off.)

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Joel Sherman reporting the Astros are paying $4 mil of the $7.5 mil Berkman is still owed. Sorry, but in this instance, the "Yankees can buy anyone" argument doesn't fly.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

New Yankee No. 2 is.....Austin Kearns.

Draft saved Draft deleted