1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you asked a casual baseball fan to name two guys on the Astros, I'd think they'd come up with Oswalt and Berkman.

Maybe not a big, but recognizable, name.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Berkman's name is much bigger than his game. And really, how many teams are going to just toss that money out and hope the guy rebounds? How many can afford to not care if he doesn't? Sorry, but not every contender can afford that risk.

Just because the Astros are paying part of the salary doesn't mean the Yankees aren't buying him.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Apparently, seven other teams were willing to do so as well.

And given that the Astros are GIVING THE YANKEES $4 MILLION, the Yankees are not buying him.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Werd. Those two were the faces of the franchise.

Without a big-name FA signing, the Astros will be doing good to draw a million in 2011.

5. outofplace

Given that the Astros are saving $2.8 million that they would have had to pay if they had kept him, yes, the Yankees are buying him. Only the willfully ignorant would argue otherwise.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

So, tell me, OOP, did the Phillies just buy Oswalt?
    The Stros are paying $11 mill but saving $12 mill in that deal

7. outofplace

Partially, though the Astros did get some talent in that deal. Happ, and the outfielder they flipped to get Wallace is not a horrible return. Philadelphia is a big market, too, you know.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I didn't hear you whining about the Phillies just buying up players, like you do every time the Yankees make a trade or sign someone.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's not being willfully ignorant. It's recognizing that two of the five best players in Astros history were not only just traded for flotsam and jetsam, but they were done so with the Astros paying their freight outta there. And, again, there were plenty of teams willing to pick up Berkman today. No idea why the Yankees ended up the ones with him, probably something to do with Nick Johnson being the most brittle human being on the planet. It will not be a difference-maker and the Yankees aren't the only team that could take him on and not feel the pinch.

If you're going to be pissed tonight, be pissed at that moron Drayton McLane, who is giving away franchise icons and paying out the ass the whole way. It's far more disgusting than what went on in Cleveland last year, and that was horrendous.

10. outofplace

Actually, I didn't bring it up. BYH did. I just stated my opinion after he started the discussion.

And, as I said, the Phillies actually did give up some talent for Oswalt. Probably not enough, but you were the one arguing for Happ's value and one of the other players they became trade bait to get them Wallace.

But other than the fact that the Oswalt trade involved some actual talent and I wasn't the one who started the conversation about the Yankees "buying" Berkman, your post is almost useful.

11. outofplace

BYH, I'm not pissed. You brought it up, so I added my opinion.

We do agree that what the Astros are doing is a joke. Of course, a salary floor would probably stop them from doing such things, but you know the only way that would happen and you strongly oppose it.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't pull that shit, dude. The whole world knows what you were getting at here.

Not looking to start another fight here (poopoocachoo :)) but you made it pretty clear how you felt about the Yankees landing him.

Draft saved Draft deleted