1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

We agree 100%.

--Dave Winfield, Billy Martin, I'm sure I could come up with others if I spent more than 10 seconds thinking about it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Yankees would have probably been better, if that's possible.

Joe D. was great. Teddy was better & would have eaten up Yankee Stadium.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes. Better pitching, and depth of talent.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the problem. The Yankee faithful really do think Jeter is on that level even though any reasonable fan knows better.

bigpern, what part of the beginning of the steady decline do you not understand? I am fully aware of how good Jeter was last year, just as I am aware of how unlikely he is to repeat it. That's the part you are having trouble with.

And I agree with mb. It would be stupid to give Jeter that kind of money, but the Yankees might do it. They are one of the few, perhaps the only, franchises that can afford it if Jeter's production does fall off completely early in a four-year, $80 million contract.

5. mb

mb Active Member

And the best part of the deal will be that it will lead to a dozen other shortstops going to their teams and saying "I'm a hell of a lot better than that old fuck. Pay me."

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no "might" about it OOP. The Yankes absolutely, positively will do it. They have no choice.
    If they try to low-ball Captain Fantastic, the front-running faithful will blow up that beautiful new ballpark.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They will do it and it is the right move. It would be short-sighted not to.

In future free agent negotiations - not that they need a ton of help - but they'll be able to look players in the eye and say, "This is an organization that takes care of the people that take care of us. Here's the proof."

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

spnited, I'm not so sure. Some talk I have heard and just a feeling that they are arrogant enough to think they can make even Jeter the bad guy if they decide not to overpay him.

And let's face it, $20 million per for four years is ridiculous at this point.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not nearly as ridiculous as giving Jorge Posada 4 years at $13.1 mill per at the age of 36. He's broken down now, but bitches when he's DHing and not catching and still has a year left on the golden-parashoot [/crossthread] deal.

Jeter at least will be a decent player at age 40. And there is no way they can ever make the sainted Derek Jeter look like the bad guy to the Yankees fans.
    He is the Joe DiMaggio for this century. He will continue to be the face of the Yankees dynasty long after he retires, following in the footsteps of Joe D and Yogi.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes. The 1940s-1950s Yankees were better than the Red Sox because of superior pitching, not because they had Joe D and the Sox had Williams.

whoops, spnited beat me to it.

Joe Page was the difference in the 1940s.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Another classic.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Classic combative response by you? Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted