1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Any chance the Dodgers move Manny in a waivers deal.

I can't imagine anyone would put in a claim to try to block a trade -- the Dodgers would most likely give him to you and stick you with the $6 Million or so still due him for the year.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lots of guys get placed on waivers. Teams do it to see if there's any interest, then pull back the waiver.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Kenny Williams will claim him and give him a four-year deal.

4. YankeeFan

Brian Cashman will encourage Kenny to play him at shortstop and bat him leadoff.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ted Williams being discussed now in Ken Burns Baseball on PBS. Presumably we'll find out if Jeter should be dropped in the order by the end of this 2 1/2-hour episode.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fuck off, the Rios deal is working beautifully.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hunchbacked Jake Peavy lurches in your general direction.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ah yes, White Sox fans remembering the pre-Kenny Williams glory days of 1920-2000, when it was a dominant franchise.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Scott Podsednick doesn't get the joke. Neither does Wilson Betemit.

10. YankeeFan

I drive by US Cellular Field every once in a while.

They still have a sign on the exterior of the building, that you can see from the highway, that says, "Home of the 2005 World Series Champions."

At what point does that become a source of embarrassment rather than a point of pride?

It's 2010 guys. It's time to take down the sign.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hey now, it's not like the sign says, "Home of the 1908 World Series Champs." ;)

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, he's done a good job, and some of his wild moves have worked out. Rios looks like a steal. Well, as much as a steal as someone who, at the time of his acquisition, was owed $60 million thru 2014 can be. But Peavy, always brittle and nowhere near as effective in the AL even before he broke his back, is looking like an albatross. And Williams has given up A LOT of young talent over the last few years. One of these years, they'll be the Astros, albeit with a competent owner and GM.

Draft saved Draft deleted